32 || apologies

Standing calmly at the crossroads, no desire to runThere's no hurry anymore when all is said and done-When All Is Said And Done, ABBA

There's no hurry anymore when all is said and done
-When All Is Said And Done, ABBA

Standing calmly at the crossroads, no desire to runThere's no hurry anymore when all is said and done-When All Is Said And Done, ABBA

May 27th, 2010
Stark Mansion, Malibu

Walking through the door with Rhodey, I see Pepper and Nat sitting on chairs, talking on the phone. Dad must be downstairs in his lab, and after what happened in Monaco, I know Rhodey's about to lay into him.

"Yes, but the fundamentals of the company are still very, very strong despite the events in Monaco.", Pepper says down the phone.

The traitor is also on the phone to somebody, "Yes, of course.", she turns to Pepper, "The AP wants a quote."

Pepper covers her speaker, "Don't tell them. Fax them."

"Where is he?", Rhodey asks.

"He doesn't want to be disturbed.", Nat says.

"He's downstairs.", Pepper tells him.

"But what happened in Monaco?", the newsreader on the Tv asks.

"Yes, but-", Pepper continues arguing down the phone.

"But his continuing erratic behaviour may lead many people to ask themselves, can this man still protect us?", the newsreader says.

"Iron Man never stopped protecting us.", Pepper insists, "The events in Monaco proved that."

Rhodey heads downstairs and I turn to the two women, "Can I borrow Natalie for a second?", I ask, trying to sound as sweet as possible, "I need help with something."

"I'm, uh-", she points to the phone, which she's holding up to her ear.

"It'll only be quick.", I assure her.

"It's fine, I can take care of this.", Pepper tells her.

Reluctantly, she gets up and follows me upstairs; I lead her into my room, then close the door and glare at her.

"Sorry.", she says, breaking the icy silence.

"Sorry?", I scoff, raising my eyebrows, "Your mission was my dad? My family? That was your mission and you didn't bother to tell me?"

"You know I wanted to, I really did, but Fury wouldn't let me.", she tries to explain, "I'm sorry, I really am, but I didn't want to compromise the mission by telling you."

"Why though?", I ask, "Why do you need to keep an eye on my dad? Why couldn't Fury just ask me to do it myself?"

She shrugs, "I honestly don't know. Fury doesn't tell me all his secrets. He probably thought you were too close to this, I know what it's like when missions get too personal. Believe me, it never ends well."

"Why does he need anyone to keep an eye on my dad? Something's going on that you aren't telling me about."

"He's Iron Man. You, me, Fury, and the rest of the world know he could pose a threat, and with the way that he's been very publicly acting lately, S.H.I.E.L.D thought it best to keep an eye on him.", she explains.

Finally, I give in, "Just so you know, I don't believe you. But if S.H.I.E.L.D wants to hide something from me this badly, it's probably best I leave it be."

Since I started working for S.H.I.E.L.D, I haven't really had time for friends. Most of my friends from high school are off at college, so I've lost touch with them. Even Evelyn, we've been friends since we were fourteen, but now she's off at Harvard, doing law, and I'm busy taking down bad guys. We don't speak anymore, probably, no definitely, my fault. I've never been particularly good at keeping friends anyway. Closest I've got to a childhood best friend are probably Anya and Julia, but they just up and left one day without an explanation, and I haven't heard from them since two-thousand and one, so... I suppose there's no point staying mad at Nat for something she had no control over. I'm kind of running low in the friends department, so I can use all the ones I can get.

"Alright, you are officially forgiven. But don't try anything with my dad, got it?"

She nods, "Got it."

A message from the author:This week's obsession is Harry's House, my favourite song is Love Of My Life

This week's obsession is Harry's House, my favourite song is Love Of My Life. Anyway, hope you all had a good week! Remember to vote and comment! See you all next chapter! (;

- Hannah xoxo

Word count: 734

Date published: May 21st, 2022