Kappa Escorts

Jamie Raven found himself on a small boat being driven by a ten-year-old. They were off of Cape Cod and on their way to a small island with a bad reputation. The people of Cape Cod knew to stay away from this island. Any boats that got too close ended up sunk and destroyed. Some people thought there was a mermaid protecting the island. Others said it was a siren. Some theorized it was a witch. Jamie was in Cape Cod to find out, and the only person willing to help him out was a ten-year-old boy.

Jamie and the child were in eye sight of the island and would be there within minutes. "Almost there," said the kid. "When do I get paid?"

Jamie couldn't help but find himself smiling. "Money's not everything kid. Don't let it get you in trouble." Jamie pulled a wad of cash from his pocket and handed it over. "What's your name anyways?"

"Tommy," he answered as he happily put the money in his back pocket.

"That's half. You get the other half when you bring me back."

"Yes sir."

They pulled up on shore and Jamie quickly jumped off. "Wait here," he said. "If I'm not back within an hour. Just head back home."

"What?" said Tommy, confused. "What about the rest of my money?"

"If I'm not back in time, it's probably because the mermaid ate me," yelled out Jamie as he got deeper inside the island. "So you'll only have done half the work!"

"What a dick," said Tommy, annoyed.

Jamie walked through a forest where nothing seemed out of the ordinary. He could hear running water in the distance and decided to start there. He pushed through the bushes as he got closer. At one point he heard a loud snap behind him and turned just in time to see something reach out to him. Jamie fell back on his butt when he saw his would-be attacker, Tommy.

"What the hell, kid? I told you to wait on the boat."

"I want to make sure you don't try to sneak off. I want to get paid."

"Remember what I said earlier," said Jamie as he stood up and cleaned himself. "Don't let money get you in trouble."

"You're the one looking for trouble. Why are you here anyways?"

There was a rattle in the bushes, causing both of them to jump. "What was that?" asked Tommy.

"Probably a rabbit or something." Jamie looked down at Tommy who conveniently got behind him. "What happened to all your bravato? Scared?"

"I'm not," he protested when the bush shook again and he hid behind Jamie.

"Sure." Jamie took a step towards the bushes.

"Wait, what are you doing?"

"I'm checking what's in the bushes. What does it look like I'm doing?" Jamie took a look back at Tommy as something struck him in the back, causing him to go down to a knee.

"Watch out!" yelled Tommy.

"A bit late kid," mumbled Jamie as he turned around to see what attacked him. "What in the hell?"

It was a weird looking creature. It was a reptile or maybe an amphibian. Something he'd never seen before. Green with a beak for a mouth. It wasn't scary, but funny looking actually. It had a bowl-like haircut and a bald spot on the top of its head. It wasn't tall either, even with Jamie down to his knee he was taller. There was a turtle-like shell on its back and it was holding a club like the way cavemen would in movies.

Jamie didn't know if he should be scared or laugh. "What are you?" he managed to say.

"Ah!" screamed Tommy as three more creatures surrounded him. Jamie stood up as more came out of the bushes around them. Jamie and Tommy were circled by seven of them. "What are they?"

"Clearly someone fucked a turtle and these are the offspring."

"Huh."

"Sorry, I tend to joke when I'm in situations like this. I don't know what they are. I'm going to be very disappointed if this is what mermaids actually look like."

"They look nothing like mermaids."

The creatures poked their clubs at Jamie and Tommy's backs, guiding them through the forest as they got closer to the body of water Jamie was trying to reach earlier.

"Where are they taking us?" asked Tommy.

"Probably to offer us as sacrifices to their god."

"That's not funny."

"I did tell you to wait on the boat."

They reached the middle of the island where they found a small lake with a waterfall. It was beautiful and would have been nice to admire if it wasn't for the weird monsters holding them hostage.

"What's going to happen now?"

Jamie pointed at the water as someone began to rise out. The two watched in awe as a beautiful woman climbed out of the water. She was wearing a red dress which matched her hair. Tommy was mesmerized while Jamie and the woman shared a smile.

Jamie noticed Tommy's mouth was hanging open. Jamie tapped his chin, closing it. "You were drooling." The creatures poked Jamie in the back with their clubs. He turned his attention toward the woman. "I come in peace. Can you call off your pets?"

"What's wrong Jamie?" asked the woman. "Not a fan of your escorts?" She waved off her creatures and they backed off.

"What are they?" he asked as she walked over to one of them and pet the top of its head.

"They're Kappas. They're from Japan." She walked over to Jamie and kissed him on the cheek. "It's good to see you again brother."

"I missed you Fiona. It's been too long."

"What's going on?" asked Tommy.

"Confused, kid? Tommy this is my sister Fiona. She's a witch who can control animals."