Chapter 2

A couple of hours passed and Sybil got up a little earlier than usual. She moved through the staff quarters quietly until she reached the end of the hall. She tapped the door softly and opened it. She was surprised to find the room empty.

She quickly went to James and told him Rodrigo was gone. They both searched the abbey high and low but the old soldier was gone. Sybil and James relaxed and went about their day as usual. Sybil had Rodrigo on her mind all day and felt bad she couldn't do more for him. He definitely deserved better.

Sybil, James and the heads of the house, Lord Oscar Hancock and Countess Ella Hancock, were all standing by the entrance when a knock came at the door.

"Who can that be this late in the day?" asked Oscar.

"I don't know, sir," said James as he went to the door. He opened the door to reveal Rodrigo standing on the other side. James was completely caught off guard and didn't know what to say.

"Who is it James?" asked Oscar.

Rodrigo took a step forward and around James, entering the estate. He looked at Oscar who was standing next to his wife. Oscar had a confused look on his face as he stared at Rodrigo.

"Sergeant Hancock," said Rodrigo as he held himself up with his cane.

"Do I know you?" asked Oscar.

Rodrigo smiled. "It's been a long time, two years."

"We fought in the war together?"

Rodrigo scratched his beard. "I guess I look a bit different now. We fought alongside each other for most of the war."

Oscar took a good look at Rodrigo until he recognised him. Sybil noticed Oscar's complexion turn pale. Sybil wasn't the only one to notice Oscar's reaction as Ella put a hand on his shoulder.

"Are you alright?" asked Ella.

Oscar kept his sights on the veteran. "Private Rodrigo."

"Long time, huh?" said Rodrigo. "You must be very surprised to see me."

"Who is this?" asked Ella.

"This is Private Rodrigo," answered Oscar. "We fought together during the war. He saved...." Oscar hesitated to finish.

"I saved his life, Lady Ella," finished Rodrigo. "I thought we were good friends, but I was mistaken." Rodrigo reached for something in his bag, causing Oscar to flinch. He pulled out a loaf of bread and offered it to Sybil. "For the kindness you showed me."

Sybil took the bread. "Thank you."

"Not a problem. I always pay back my favours." Rodrigo turned to Oscar and gave him a nod. "I should be on my way. I hope you all have a pleasant evening." Rodrigo left without another word.

"That was a bit ominous," said Ella. "What did he mean when he said he thought you were good friends?"

Oscar seemed distracted and took a minute to answer. "I don't know. I'm going to call it a night." He turned his attention towards James. "Inform the staff. Thank you." He walked away, followed by his wife.

James quickly went to Sybil. "Did you hear that?"

"Yes," she answered.

"Do you think Lord Hancock is the man from the story?"

"I can't say. You shouldn't either. We should keep it to ourselves."

***

There was a knock at Sybil's bedroom door. The sun was beginning to rise but it was still unusually early for someone to be knocking at her door. She opened the door and found James waiting.

"What is it now?" she asked.

"I wanted to tell you as soon as possible. Lord Hancock has gone missing. Apparently he went out late last night and hasn't returned."

"My God."

"Do you think the old vet had something to do with it?"

"How would I know? Don't say anything."

"But."

"But nothing," said Sybil. "It could be nothing and you would be spreading false rumors."

James had a disappointed look on his face.

"Do you understand me James?"

"I do."

"Good. Now let's get ready for work."

"Alright," said James.

The day went on as normal until the police came to the abbey. James got Sybil when the officer showed up. They were hiding by the doorway as the officer spoke to Countess Ella. They made sure they weren't seen but could listen.

"I'm sorry to have to inform you Lady Hancock but your husband was shot last night."

The Countess let out a yelp as one of her friends comforted her.

"I'm very sorry, Lady. It seemed the injury wasn't even that serious, a doctor could have saved him. He was shot in the leg, but there was no one to aid him. He bled to death. Again, I'm very sorry for your loss, my Lady."

James and Sybil rushed away before they could be seen. "Now do you believe the old vet had something to do with it?"

"I'll admit it looks bad," said Sybil. "But it's up to the police now. There's nothing we can do."

"We heard his story. If it was true, Lord Hancock had it coming." James was about to leave when he stopped. "Oh, before I forget." He pulled a letter from his breast pocket and handed it to Sybil. "Someone left this for you."

Sybil looked at the letter. "Who's it from?"

"No clue," said James as he left.

Sybil opened the letter and read it.

Dear Lady Sybil,

I want to thank you again for the kindness you've shown me at my low point. As you must know by now, I always pay back my favours. If you and James ever find yourselves in Berkshire, look me up and I'll provide you both a place to stay. I hope you do.

Kind regards,

A Lowly Veteran

Sybil shoved the letter in her pocket and went on with her day as usual.