Chapter 3

Delvis, Joe, Tirado, Alex, Lu and Junior reached the top floor when they spotted something.

"Hey look," said Delvis. "Another gargoyle?"

"What?" said Lu as he got in front of the group. "It looks like the one from the roof."

"No way," said Junior. "Mom would have never taken her eyes off it."

Lu went to the window and poked his head out. "Mom," he called out. "Is that gargoyle still on the roof?"

"No," yelled Celi. "I lost sight of it. You guys need to be careful."

"It's fine. We found it. We won't lose sight of it."

"Good job, boys. Stay safe."

"Is it me or are they acting strange?" Tirado whispered to Joe.

"Hill people," said Joe. "They're just weird in general."

"You two," said Junior to Tirado and Joe. "Help me strap this thing down."

Junior, Tirado and Joe went to the gargoyle and started to strap it down.

"What about the one on the roof?" asked Delvis.

"This is the one on the roof," said Lu.

"Huh?" said Delvis. There was a loud crash in the building, causing everyone except Junior, who kept his eyes on the gargoyle, to look down the hall.

"What was that?" asked Alex.

"Probably another gargoyle," said Junior as he continued to strap down the one in front of him.

"We need to hurry," said Lu as he turned around to help his brother.

There was another crash in another part of the building. This time everyone but the brothers turned to look. The brother finished strapping the gargoyle to the two wheeler.

"Is there something else here?" said Alex.

"Yeah," said Lu as he pushed the gargoyle forward. "More gargoyles."

"Make sure you keep your eyes on your surroundings," said Junior. "Don't let anything sneak up on you."

Just as Junior said those words, something snatched Delvis into the darkness. It happened so quickly no one saw what took him.

"Delvis!" screamed out Joe as he tried to follow.

Alex pulled his gun out and followed Joe into the hall. Junior followed as well.

"What the hell just happened?" asked Tirado, who stayed behind with Lu.

"Gargoyles," answered Lu. "Aren't you listening?"

"Are you saying they're alive?"

"Exactly."

Tirado took a step away from the gargoyle strapped to the two wheeler. "Should we be worried about that thing?" he said, pointing at the strapped gargoyle.

"Not as long as you don't take your eyes away from it."

Junior returned with Alex and Joe. They returned without Delvis. Both Junior and Alex had their guns out.

"Where's Delvis?" asked Tirado.

"We couldn't find him," answered Junior. "We need to move quickly."

"Not without Delvis," said Alex.

"Agreed," said Joe.

"I'm sorry, but it's too late for him," said Junior.