Chapter 2

Everyone regrouped at the base of the mountain in front of the three snow vehicles. They were all covered in their large coats as the wind hit their faces. Papo had a very disappointed look on his face as he stared at the large truck.

"Lighten up, Papo," said Alex, who was petting his midsize dog. "It's an adventure. Lean into the fun and don't think about the money."

"Is that what you're doing?" asked Papo. "Not thinking about the money?"

"Hell no. I can't stop thinking about the money. I'm making a fortune protecting Delvis. But I'm also thinking about the adventure. It's going to be fun."

"Sure it is."

Celi walked up behind Alex and Papo. "And who is this?" she said as she leaned down to pet the dog. The dog enjoyed the attention as he leaned into her.

"This is Mutt Daimon."

"Are you serious?"

"Yup," said Alex, a big grin on his face. "My partner in crime, Mutt Daimon." The dog jumped and ran excitedly around Alex. "Good boy."

Celi walked to the middle of the group. "Okay, I need everyone's attention. We're going to split into three groups. Me and my sons will be the drivers. I'll be in the truck. I'll let you guys decide who you'll ride with."

Everyone looked towards Papo for his decision. It took him a second to realise they were staring at him. "I only make the decisions when it comes to the money," he said. "I don't assign your seats. You're all adults." He went towards Celi. "I'll ride with you."

"Whatever vehicle Delvis goes, me and Mutt Daimon tag along," said Alex.

"That's enough people for one vehicle," said Lu to Delvis. "The three of you should ride with me," he said. "We'll be leading the way."

"Sounds good to me," said Delvis.

"I guess that means us two will be riding with you," said Tirado to Junior as he slapped Joe in the back.

"Actually, I would rather ride in the truck," said Joe. "It looks safer."

"Stop," said Tirado. "This is an adventure. Look at that vehicle," he said, referring to the one Junior would be driving. "That thing screams adventure."

"I don't care," said Joe.

"Neither do I," said Tirado as he pushed Joe along. "You're riding with me."

"I guess it's decided," said Celi as she watched Joe reluctantly get taken into Junior's vehicle. "Let's start this adventure."

Everyone got in their vehicles, Celi and Papo in the truck, Junior, Tirado and Joe in one of the midsize vehicles and Lu, Delvis, Alex and Mutt Daimon in the vehicle leading the way. The truck stayed in the back while Junior's vehicle was in the middle. It was a slow start at first, but the vehicles got into a steady speed as they made their way up the mountain. There were trees everywhere. They took a path that was clearly used by vehicles before.

Celi kept a close watch of the area while Papo dazed out the window. Papo was clearly not impressed by the adventure, but saw something move between the trees.

"Hmpt, I don't know why I thought it was too cold for animals out here," he said. "Some animals are built for this type of environment."

"Did you see something?" asked Celi.

"Yeah, but I couldn't make out what it was."

"Where did you see it?"

"It was moving around in the trees. Probably an owl or something."