Chapter 3

The cart doors opened and Jack, along with a group of the Pope's guards, entered. "Sorry to interrupt ma'am, but the Pope's guards are making a sweep of the train."

"Is there something wrong?" asked Richard.

"No," answered one of the guards. "Just a routine check. Especially considering these people were able to sneak on board," he said, giving Bloody Mary a dirty look.

"We didn't sneak on board," said Bloody Mary.

"Oh no, then how did you get on board?"

"I walked right in. Your comrades even made way as we boarded."

"That's exactly what happened," said Jack, grinning.

"Even if that's true-"

Bloody Mary cut him off. "What I say is the truth. I don't lie and I don't like it when people I don't know insinuate I'm a liar."

Jack put a dagger up to the holy guard's neck. "Apologize right now."

The holy guard gulped. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to insult the lady."

"Your holy queen," said Jack.

"That's enough Jack," said Bloody Mary. "Let the man do his job."

"As you say," said Jack, sheathing his dagger. "Go, before your mouth makes another mistake and I'm forced to cut its tongue."

The holy guard gulped again, but led his men across the cart and to the next one. Jack gave Bloody Mary a smile before going back to the previous cart.

Bloody Mary returned her attention to Richard, who had a worried look on his face. "I'm sorry about that. I really don't like it when people call me a liar. You know lying is a great sin."

"I know," said Richard, hesitation in his voice. "I'm sorry they did that."

"You don't have to apologize for them. They're not your men. They're the Pope's men."

"Do you not like the Pope?"

It was Bloody Mary's turn to have hesitation. "There's something I don't trust about him. I feel he's not completely trustworthy and a Pope should be. He's the closest connection we have to God. Well, I would argue closest to God after me."

Richard cleaned sweat off his brow. "I see," he managed to say.

There was a crash in the cart the guards went through, causing Bloody Mary to sit up from her seat. "What was that?"

Guards busted through the door, causing Richard and his crewmen to jump out of their seats. The guards in Scottish uniforms continued to enter the cart, all of them armed with swords. At least ten guards entered the cart.

"What's the meaning of this?" yelled Bloody Mary.

"You're dead," said one of the guards as he went to strike her.

"Watch out," said Richard, pushing Bloody Mary out of the way and taking the hit. He fell to the floor, a slash on his shoulder.

"Not him," yelled one of the other guards. "You're not supposed to hurt that one."

"It's not my fault! He got in the way."

"Kill her before her men interfere," yelled a third guard, heading right towards Bloody Mary. He had his sword held high as he was about to bring it down on her. He had a moment of hesitation when he saw her glaring at him. That moment of hesitation was all it took to cost him his life. He found a dagger stuck in his chest. He looked in the direction it came from and saw Jack the Jester pulling another dagger from his pocket. The guard fell back, dead.

Two other guards made a run for Bloody Mary but Oni cut them off, slashing them in their stomachs and killing them.

"Get to safety, ma'am," said Oni. "We got it from here."

Bloody Mary gave Oni a nod as she reached down and grabbed one of the swords from the dead guards. She moved to the back of the cart as her men fought the guards. Her men were making quick work of the guards. Every time Greg the Goliath struck anyone, he took a limb off.

Bloody Mary spotted Richard on the floor and went to him. "Are you alright?" she asked.

"I don't know," groaned Richard, his hand over the wound on his shoulder. He pulled his hand away. "How does it look?"

Bloody Mary looked at his injured shoulder. "I'm sure it looks worse than what it really is."

"Behind you," said Richard.

Bloody Mary turned around just in time to see a guard coming. She ducked as Richard fell back. The guard missed his attack while Bloody Mary trusted her sword into his stomach. He fell back as Greg the Goliath, Jack the Jester and Oni had the look of shock on their faces.

"Well done," said Greg as he looked down at the guard Bloody Mary killed.

"We're sorry ma'am," said Oni as he went to check on her. "We got careless." He looked her over carefully while her sights were elsewhere.

Bloody Mary noted all the enemy guards were dead. "I'm fine," she said to Oni and smiled at him. "You guys did a very good job."

"We should have been here sooner," said Oni. "I'm sorry for leaving your side in the first place."

"Richard," she said, suddenly remembering him. "Are you alright?"

Richard groaned on the floor as his two crewmen came to his aid. Jack checked on Richard's wounds as well. He turned to Bloody Mary and shook his head. "It doesn't look good."

"Does the train have an infirmary?" Bloody Mary asked one of the crewmen.

"One hasn't been set up yet," he answered. "We have bandages up front but not for something like this."

"Ma'am, an attempt has been made on your life," said Greg. "We have to get off the train."

"Not without my sister," said Bloody Mary. "And I'm not leaving Richard either."

"It might be too late for him," whispered Jack.

"We're not leaving him." She turned her attention to the crewmen. "Where to the bandages?"

"It's up front with the conductor."

"That's on the other side of the train," said Greg. "If we're going to help your sister, which I believe that we should, we can't help both. Not at the same time."

"Jack," said Bloody Mary. "You take Richard to the front. Greg and Oni will be enough to take on Mary of Scots' guards."

"Ma'am," cut in Oni. "I think it's time you called in Azrael. I'm not sure we have the advantage on this contraption. At least with Azrael in the area, you'll have an easy escape."

"I think Oni is right," agreed Greg.

Bloody Mary stopped to think before turning her attention to Jack the Jester. "Jack, you have your orders. Take Richard to safety right now."

"Yes ma'am," said Jack. "Sorry ma'am." Jack lifted Richard and put his arm over his shoulder. Jack left with Richard and the two crewmen.

"Have you decided what we're going to do?" asked Oni.

"I'll call for Azrael as soon as Elizabeth is at my side."

"Understood," said Greg the Goliath and Oni in unison.

"Then lead the way," said Bloody Mary.