Chapter 34

It was night but still the sword shone brightly. Veldon's people were scattered around the other kingdoms to sleep in but everyone slept in a warm bed for the first time in many nights.

Salvatora saw Stefan and walked up to him. She sat down next to him silently. No one spoke for a long time. Finally Stefan broke the silence.

"We won. He's dead."

Salvatora nodded, "It was at a great price. Many lives were lost."

"Many more would have been lost had we not killed him."

"Stefan, as long as there is anger and fear, he will grow."

"But he can't come back?"

"No, but Jake can."

Stefan was quiet. "Only time will tell."

Salvatora smiled, "I'm going now. My place is in the ice, yours is here with Anne."

Stefan was shocked, "You have to stay!"

"I can't. I must continue to gather memories and store them. I have been thinking. After ninety years, there will be only one wolf. After a few centuries, I the last witch will die. I have to try and find more of my race. I don't want to be the only one. The witches cannot die just like that. I must stop that."

"But when will I see you?"

"We both have a lot of time. I will always be a part of your life."

Stefan embraced her, "Thank you for everything."

Salvatora smiled and stood. She took one last look and walked away. Snow began to fall around her space and soon she was lost in her own blizzard. Stefan shed a tear.

He spoke to himself, "Immortality... What do I do with it? It's going to be hard to get rid of it. But if Domitates could die, so can I!"

Cigam of all people suddenly appeared and sat down next to him. He looked tired and weak.

Cigam said, "I always will envy you for your mastery of magic."

Stefan looked away.

Cigam continued, "Stay around for a while. It can't hurt. Don't look for a way to kill yourself. Enjoy your time."

Stefan looked up deep in thought. Veldon's magician stood up and walked away.

The mark is a curse. Stefan heard that in his head several times.

Stefan saw dawn approaching. He shook his head. He couldn't believe he had been sitting for such a long time. The mark is a gift. The thought pierced through his head. Stefan got up and began to make his journey towards Anne.

The witch of ice had been like a mother to him. But he still wondered about his father. Did he too unlock the mark? Only time will tell. Stefan cursed. How often would he have to hear that phrase before it came true?

The circle with two lines through it shone a red colour. How could his father have even unlocked it if he did have the mark? There were so many unanswered questions. They all bothered Stefan.

"Enjoy your time..." That's what Cigam said. Stefan walked towards the golden sword. With every step, he liked that idea more and more.