4. "Myths And Legends"

Menlanie Martinez - Pity Party

It's been three days since Aiden left, mom hasn't stopped crying, Anna was worried for a bit then went on with her normal life. Jake has never left mom's side, there are tissues all over the couch.

I'm about to walk out of the living room when the patch on mom's shoulder catches my eye "Mom?" her puffy red eyes meet mine and she sniffles "Yes"

"What happened to your shoulder?" I ask and she thinks for a while as though my words don't make any sense to her, she then looks at her shoulder and replies "I was ironing my hair and mistakenly burnt myself."

"Oh, just be careful next time" I gently touch her arm.

I make my way to the kitchen and make chicken soup, she refuses to eat since Aiden went 'missing', Jake walks in, I turn to face him "Can you please see if you can get mom to eat, please" I hand him the bowl of soup and he smiles at me "I'll try"

I make a sandwich for myself and wash the dishes that were in the sink "I'm worried about mom" I gasp and drop the glass that was in my hand into the sink. My eyes find the owner, I glare at her "Anna, don't do that" I hiss, she looks at me "Do what?"

"You scared me"

"Oh, sorry"

"You were saying something" she sits on the kitchen counter and looks at me sadly "Yeah, I'm worried about mom," she said softly, I wipe my hands on the cloth and sigh "Yea I'm worried about her too"

She jumps off the counter and shakes her head "No Fare, I'm really worried about her. She's getting hurt a lot more than she usually does, and when I ask her about it, it's like she doesn't know what I'm talking about, then she thinks for a while and all of a sudden she knows what happened to her!" she whisper yells "She never does anything we ask anymore, you made something for her to eat but she refused to eat, now when Jake asks her, she listens to him without complaining" she continues

We walk out of the kitchen and through the corridor, we stand behind the wall and peak, I see Jake feeding mom the soup. I walk back into the kitchen with Anna in tow.

"Do you think Jake is hurting mom?" I shake my head "No. He's the best thing that ever happened to her after dad"

"Okay" she leaves the kitchen and I find myself bombarded with questions. Is Jake the one hurting mom? Why doesn't she want to listen to us? Did she really burn herself with the hair iron?

~~~~~

I left the house about two hours ago, I really needed to clear my head, so I walked to the park and sat there for a while, I stare at the dark clouds starting to form. So many things running through my mind, the park is a bit empty today, exactly how I like it. No noise except the wind blowing.

I shut my eyes and raise my head as the rain begins to fall gently, the drops falling on my face, wishing everything could fall away as the rain falls from the sky. It rained for a few minutes then it stopped, odd weather as usual. I wonder if Aiden found out what's wrong with him, if he was here we would've hung out and I would've forced him to buy food for me again, I chuckle and shake my head, but since he's not here I'll go to my second home. The library.

Getting up from the park bench I hear someone call my name, I look around and there's no one except for a few people that I don't know.

"Farren!" okay now I'm most definitely sure I heard my name, a hand touches my shoulder and I jump in surprise, I'm about to scream when I see the person is Uncle Nate.

"Hey there kiddo" he greets me pulling me into a hug

"Hey Uncle Nate, you kinda scared me," I tell him, my hand resting on my heart.