28. "I choose to respect your privacy"

Isabela Merced - My Only One

We got through the forest without getting caught in the sprites enchantment, and now we're on the open field. Hopefully, we can get to the mountains today and then go back to Scarlet Crown. I feel completely normal, the gingersnap cookies worked, which meant I didn't embarrass myself today.

After last night I feel like Caelum and I got a bit closer. He's slowly opening up to me and I'm not going to rush him, patience is key. When I heard the people of Scarlet Crown talk about him, I was scared and wanted to avoid him at all costs. Life hit me in the face and made him my mate, and that tough, cruelness is all an act. He can be the best person when it comes to company, I think we're developing a friendship. He's not that bad.

We've been walking for hours, and my legs feel as if they're going to give up "Caaeelum!" I groan and he glances at me with a quirked eyebrow "Yes"

"I can't walk much longer; if I do, my legs will fall off" I grumble and take a seat on the grass.

"Come on Farren, you're exaggerating"

"I'm not," I declare as I collapse on the grass, the sun blazing brightly in my eyes. I shield my eyes with my hand to keep it out of my eyes, "We're almost there," he says as he puts his legs on either side of me and towers over me.

I pout and he sighs as I whine, "But my legs are tired"

He sets his bag in front of him and carries it in front of him. He reaches out and pulls me "Get on my back," he huffs.

I climb on as he turns away from me "Thank you" I send him a hearty smile as I wrap my arms around him.

"I'm not heavy, am I?" I ask

I slap his shoulder and grin as he exclaims dramatically, "Oh, God, you weigh a ton!"

"You're awful, but truly, I'm not that heavy, am I?"

He gestures to a distant tree. "I can lift that tree, which means I can effortlessly carry you"

"OK, yeah, no need to brag," I say, rolling my eyes.

I pull a pack of gum from my pocket as he begins walking "Do you want one?" I ask, shoving one into my mouth and looking down at him. He stares at me when I ask him and says "My hands are kinda full"

I open another gum wrapper and hold it to his lips; he takes it with his teeth, then bites my finger "Ow," I yelp, swiftly withdrawing my finger. Caelum's t-shirt is now stained with dripping blood from my finger.

"You were supposed to take the gum. Not bite my finger!" I shriek.

He apologizes, "Shit sorry, I didn't mean to," and I wipe the blood away with a tissue from my hoodie's pocket. When the bleeding stops, I say, "It's alright"

"Let me see your finger," he says, but I smile "It's alright," I repeat and he lets it go.

"Hey, do you remember last night, you spoke about your family?"

"Yea"

"I was thinking about taking you to see your mother," he says, and I go silent. They'll kill me if I return; they already know Anna, Aiden, and I are gone, so if I return, they won't let me in and I'll be killed straight away.

"I can't. I'll be killed"

"No, you won't. I know the mayor of the town," he claims, and I'm astounded "B-but how?"

"The human town's board are aware of us; they have no idea who we really are or what we are, but it was made clear that we are far more powerful than they could ever be"