Next Steps

AMELIAS POV
It felt so good to work today. I got over the hump. Tom being here really helped. I thought I would have to manage everything on my own but having another neurosurgeon here really helps, and he was really good. I walked to my car and started driving. I parked in the garage and unlocked the front door. I didn't even realize how late it was. It was almost 11. I hung my jacket up and walked into the living room where Owen was watching TV but he fell asleep. He was so cute. I kicked my shoes off and cuddled next to him.
"Oh hey," he smiled.
"Hey, sorry I didn't mean to wake you," I said.
"It's okay," he said, "how was work?"
"Good," I said.
"You looked so happy today," he smiled.
"Thank you for forcing my ass out of bed and to work," I chuckled, "I needed the push."
"You're welcome," he said, "it was good to see you in your element again."
"Yeah I thought it was going to be really hard without Derek but Tom's work really helped," I said.
"Tom seems nice," Owen said. I chuckled.
"He's extremely sarcastic and arrogant," I chuckled.
"So you?" Owen joked and hit me with a pillow.
"Shut up I'm not arrogant," I chuckled.
"You're not but you're very sarcastic," Owen said and kissed me.
"Yeah," I chuckled and he wrapped his arms around me and brought me into a hug.
"I love you so much Amelia," he said.
"I love you too Owen," I said, "I know I haven't been easy these past few weeks, but thank you for staying and helping me. I probably wouldn't have even gotten out of bed today or I would probably be high right now if it weren't for you. Thank you for being the reason I get up in the morning and the reason I stay sober. I love you."
"You don't have to thank me," he said and kissed me.
"I know it's almost midnight but can you make dinner?" I chuckled and he laughed.
"I'll make you something come on," he said.
"Okay," I smiled. We walked into the kitchen and I opened the pantry.
"What do you want?" He asked.
"I don't know," I chuckled.
"I have a question for you," he said.
"Okay," I said as I grabbed a box of cereal from the pantry and opened it.
"Do you want to move in with me?" He asked. I looked up at him and saw that he was serious. I never thought about it. I mean we basically do live together it's just, I don't know. I love Owen more than anything in the world but I didn't think that far ahead. I have to give an answer because he's looking at me but I feel frozen. I'm always so scared that I'm going to run or I'll ruin everything with Owen.
"I'll just take that as a no," Owen said.
"Owen I want to move in with you," I said, "I do. I really love you. I was just thinking and I just hadn't thought that far but that doesn't mean I don't want to."
"Okay," he smiled.
"Okay?" I said.
"Are you just gonna eat cereal out of the box?" He chuckled.
"I mean yeah," I chuckled.
"I love you Ames," he said and walked over and kissed me.
"I love you too," I said. We went upstairs and I changed into pajamas and sat down on the bed. I felt so good after work today. I saved someone. I've been chasing this high I had on drugs for weeks, and I'm finally feeling the satisfaction from work. I'm glad I didn't relapse. I couldn't. If I took drugs after Derek's death I don't think I could ever stop. I couldn't do that to Owen.
"Hey you alright?" Owen asked as he sat down next to me.
"Thank you for not letting me do drugs," I said in a small voice, "because if I did I don't think I could ever stop." He wrapped me in a big hug and kissed my head.
"I'm always here to protect you," Owen said softly, "no matter what."
"I love you," I said.
"I love you too," he said. I snuggled into him and he rubbed my back and kissed my forehead.
"I think I'm getting through this," I said softly.
"I think so too. You got back to work today which was a really big step for you," Owen said.
"I didn't really expect to but Tom being there made me wanna. I was scared I would have to tackle everything on my own but him being there made it a lot less overwhelming," I admitted, "is he staying for good?"
"I think so," Owen said.
"That's good," I said.
"Yeah," Owen said, "I'm really glad you had a good day today, are you going to work tomorrow?"
"Maybe," I said, "or maybe I could move all of my stuff into your house tomorrow."
"That works too," he grinned.
"I have a lot of crap are you sure you want me moving in?" I laughed.
"I want you in my life forever Amelia, you and all your stuff," he said.
"Forever?" I said.
"Yeah," Owen said as he stroked my cheek, "I wanna grow old with you. I wanna have kids with you. I want to get married. I want to go to our girls dance recitals and go to sports practices. I wanna drop our kids off at school and scrub into the OR with you after. I want to wake up next to you every morning and smile because you're my insanely beautiful and brilliant wife. I want to walk downstairs and make your ridiculously sugary coffee every morning before you wake up so you get to work on time. I want to teach our kids how to read and how to ride a bike. I want everything and I want it with you Amelia." I felt myself crying and I smiled.
"Really?" I said, "you really mean it Owen?"
"I really mean it Amelia," he said.