Chapter Five:

Eddie's POV:

It was another shift at station 118. The past few shifts had been hectic because of the five alarm fire and earthquake, so I'm hoping this shift is pretty normal. 

Buck, Val, and I were cleaning the truck while Hen and Chim were restocking the Ambulance. Nash was off doing some captain things somewhere in the station.

Buck insisted that I had a "crush" on Val. Although I kept denying it, I did. But I wasn't going to tell Buck that because then he would play matchmaker.

Val was great. The 118 fell in love with her the moment she walked in those doors. She had a great sense of humor and an amazing and sweet personality. She knew exactly how to light up an entire room just by her laugh or smile. When she told Buck and I a bit about her past I was bit surprised to find out that she had been through so much. She was also great with kids which made me fall for her even more.

Yah Buck was right. I definitely was falling for her.

The alarm rang pulling me out of my trance We all got out gear on and piled into the truck. There was a security guard stuck in between two apartment buildings.

When we pulled up the scene we piled out of the truck. Buck and I ran to one building as Bobby, Hen, Chim, and Val ran up the stairs to the other.

Val's POV:

I ran with Cap, Chim, and Hen, into the building on the right. A security guard was stuck about halfway up the building from the ground between the two buildings.

We had to cut below him and pull him through the opening we made to get him out. Chim and Hen put him on a stretcher and took him back down to the ambo to transport him to the hospital.

The rest of us got back to the station and continued cleaning the truck. I caught Eddie staring at me. We made eye contact for a second before he smiled and focused his attention back on the rag he was cleaning the truck with while I was pulled into a trance of my thoughts and mind. The last thing I noticed was Buck chuckling because of Eddie.

I had a bit of a crush on Eddie. He had an adorable son, he is a great firefighter, father, and person in general. To see how great he was with his son made butterflies come alive in my stomach. When he mentioned that he was ex-military, I wasn't surprised. He had been through hell and back like I have, the only difference is that we went through hell in a different ways. He was in the military and saw people die and was injured and I was in a plane crash in which I lost my parents and was sent to live in foster homes some of which weren't the best if you get what I mean.

Buck came up to me and snapped me out of my trance.

"Val! You good? You were kinda staring into space there."

I saw Eddie look at me and once again we locked eyes until I turned to look at Buck.

"Yeah. Just drifted into my thoughts."

"What were you thinking about? I mean you don't have to say anything if you don't want to just want to make sure you are okay."

"Just the conversation I had with my dumb-ass brother last night. I am supposed to go to his place Saturday to see my nieces and nephew."

"So everything is okay then?"

"Yep."

"Are you gonna do anything with them?"

"I'm probably just gonna play video games with them."

"You play video games?" Eddie joined in the conversation.