Chapter Six:

Val's POV:

Today marks one month since I started at the 118. Buck and I have grown closer and same wit Eddie and I. Buck is my best friends and Eddie.... Well it's complicated. 

It's clear we both like each other but we won't say anything to the other because we are too afraid of what might happen to our friendship.

I woke up today to a text from Travis Montgomery.

Travis: Hey Val, I have some off days next month. Can I come stay with you in L.A for a week?

Me: I've been gone a month and already you can't live without me.

Travis: Nope, never mind.

Me: Yes Montgomery you can come stay. Just text me the dates and time so I can take off to pick you up from the airport and give you a tour of L.A.

Travis: Thanks Val. Never been to L.A before.

Me: You'll love it. K, I gotta go I have a shift in an hour.

Travis: Bye Lopez

Me: Bye Montgomery

I turned my phone off and managed to just barely crawl out of the warmth and comfort of my fluffy bed.

I showered last night so I meant straight to the sink to wash my face with cold water and my CeraVe cleanser and moisturizer. 

I made my way to the kitchen where I poured myself a bowl of cereal and cut some strawberries to sprinkle over the freshly poured cereal.

After I finished I put my plate in the skink and made my way to my car. It was 7:35 so I had exactly 25 minutes to get to work and it was only a five minute drive.

I parked my car in the back of the station and walked inside where second shift was finishing. I was the first one there so I just put my bag down and got changed into my uniform. 

I still had 15 minutes until start of shift so I decided to head back outside and take a seat on a curb outside then entrance of the station right beside the parking lot.

I zoned out and was drawn out of my trance by a familiar face.... Eddie Diaz.

"Morning Val." he said.

"Morning Diaz."

"You okay? You're here early and you were kinda staring into space there."

"Yeah I'm good. I had some extra time today so I came early and I was just sitting here thinking." I said as he helped pull me up from my spot.

We made direct eye contact as our faces were only 6 inches away from each other. 

I looked away back towards the building as we walked inside together Just as it hit 8:00 am.

We were greeted by the rest of the team and I made my way to the second floor where there were two more familiar faces. 

"Good morning Maddie, morning Athena." I said

Over the past month I had also gotten extremely close to Maddie.

"Morning Val." Athena spoke, "We just wanted to say hello to everyone before I take Maddie here on a ride-along."

Bobby, Hen, Chimney, Eddie, and Buck walked up and we ate breakfast. Mid-meal, we received a call and had to leave. Athena and Maddie left too as they needed to get going if it was going to be a successful day. 

There was a woman down in front of a home with a broken hip and apparently is was an insurance scam . We gave her a splint while Hen and Chim took her to the hospital. We got back to the firehouse and cleaned the trucks not receiving another call until around noon.