Chapter 18

Val's POV. 

I just walked right out of that store leaving the manager and Eddie confused. I walked over to my car and got in laying my head down on my steering wheel. A couple minutes later, Eddie came out of the store and opened the passenger door, climbing into the car.

"I got the security footage. We need to give it the cops so they can find your brother and arrest him." He said pitifully.

I couldn't take it anymore and burst into tears. Eddie pulled me into a tight embrace as I continued crying into his chest as he softly patted my back in reassurance.

"Val, it's gonna be okay." He said.

"Eddie, my brother murdered someone. How the hell is it going to be okay?" I said wiping my tears and sitting back up in my seat.

"You said you guys weren't close right?" He asked trying not to piss me off.

"I haven't spoken to him in years but that doesn't mean that he isn't family. Part of me feels guilty for what happened to that woman. Like I could have done more with my brother so that he wouldn't have killed her." I said in between shaky breaths.

"This is not your fault. You couldn't have expected him to do this. I would try to comfort you more right now but we need to get this back to arson so-" Eddie began before I cut him off.

"So they can arrest my brother. Yeah I know." I said as I started the car and drove back towards arson. The car ride was silent. Eddie understood that I needed some time and space to process this.

We arrived at the building and walked inside heading to the forensics lab. We handed over the video footage and left knowing that we did what was needed in the case to make an arrest. It was getting late so I dropped Eddie off his home and drove home myself. Travis was already there making dinner when I walked in.

"So what bastard ended his ass in a jail cell today?" He asked as I set my keys in a bowl on the table beside the door. 

"My brother." I said as I sat on the couch.

"Wait what!?" He said turning the stove off and joining me on the couch.

"My brother is a murderer. He was the one who set the fire and killed a woman." I said nonchalantly.

"That was anticlimactic." He said making me chuckle a bit.

"Yeah. Arson handed over the case to the cops so they can search for him. It's fine though. Not like we were that close." I said as I got a call. "I should take this." I said as I stood up and went over to the kitchen. I didn't know who was calling because it was an unknown number but decided I should answer it anyways in case it was somebody from arson who needed something.

"Hello?" I said into the phone.

"Wanna know why I did it?" A voice said. That voice belonged to my brother.

"Theo?" I said sending a glance to Travis as he ran over as I put the call on speaker phone.

"Revenge. The woman, Mallory Kendrick. She was my ex girlfriend. I killed her because she cheated on me. You. You're next. Even Marco spoke to me but you, you completely cut me off." The voice said.

At that exact moment, the entire apartment exploded into a flaming inferno following a loud bang. Travis and I were thrown to the floor. I felt myself slipping into my unconscious. 

Eddie's POV: 

I just tucked Cristopher into bed when I got a call from Buck.

"Buck?" I said into the phone.

"It's Val and Travis! I'm on my way to the hospital now. Their apartment was on fire. Some sort of explosion. I don't know much." He said frantically. I felt my heart drop.