Chapter 14

Eddie's POV:

Tomorrow is halloween. Christopher is ecstatic because Val was coming with us. 

Today was going to be tough though. Shannon is coming to sign the transfer papers for Christopher's new school and I was on edge. She was going to stay in town for a while against my better judgement in order to try to convince me to let her see Christopher. 

When I mentioned this to Val, she seemed a little annoyed. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt her. I assured her that I loved her and that Shannon and I were over and she cheered up a bit.

I took off work today in order to sign the papers at Christopher's school with Shannon.

I dropped Christopher off at school and made the short drive to his new school. When I got inside, Shannon was sitting in the Principle's office along with the principle of the school. The principle had to leave for a moment so that left just Shannon and I in the room.

"Hello Edmundo."

"Shannon." I said looking down at my feet.

"Eddie I-"

"Don't Shannon. I've moved on and so had Christopher."

"What do you mean you've moved on?" She said now getting angry.

"I mean I have a girlfriend now. I have for the past six months."

"Why the hell would you get a girlfriend?!" She said obviously pissed.

"Because you left. You left both me and Christopher. Did you expect me to wait for you forever?" I said trying to keep my cool.

"Well I didn't expect you to get a girlfriend when Christopher needs his dad around."

"And he has his dad around. I might be working at a fire station all day 5 days a week but he still has my attention. He loves Val and so do I. And vice versa."

"So Val is her name?"

"Yes. She is working as a firefighter too at the same station I am. Most nights she comes over to my place for dinner and then she spends time with Christopher and I."

"So she replaces me?"

"No. Christopher doesn't see her as you. But she is more of a mother figure to him than he has had in over two years. At least she helps him with his homework and watches movies with him. She also helped out when he had the flu or when I just need a night with my friend."

"What if I come back? For good."

"Shannon, nothing's gonna change. We have moved on so just accept that. And I don't want you to see Christopher if it means you're just going to leave again. You have put him through enough!" I said finally losing it.

"Edmundo this is unfair!"

"No what is unfair is that you left! And you just expect us to get back together? And you expect me to wait for you!" 

"We will finish this conversation later." She said.

"There can't be a conversation if it's just one sided."

"I don't care! We will continue this." She said just as the principle walked back in.

We both signed the papers for Christopher to transfer and walked out together.

"Edmundo. I need to see my son."

"I'm not going to let you see him. You put him through enough." I said while we stand at my car.