Smuggling into the city

I sat on a rim of the barge, floating on a cold water, rosed by evening fog. Winter has already come, and almost a year passed since we decided to go on this quest.
"What are you trying to do? Drown us?" Thorin grumped but the bargeman just smiled kindly:
" I was born and bred on these waters, Master Dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here."

I wonder what is his name. He May be a stranger but a friendly one. Nothing bad can happen when I ask him, can it ?
" He seems nice." I said, leaning on a wooden box next to Dwalin.
" I’ve had enough of this lippy lake-man!" he said sharply.
"Bard. He’s name’s Bard." Bilbo sighed.
"Is it ?" I asked surprised.

" How do you know ?"
" Uh…I asked him ?"

" Yes, asking..." I got lost in my thoughts, walking backwards and I didn't notice Bard standing behind me. With my head in the clouds I bumped in to him.
" I'm sorry, very sorry, I'm such a ..." I started brushing of the dirt from his coat.
" Everything is alright, my apologizes, Is should not stand in your way." he smiled.
" What ? But I..."
" Shhh, nothing happened." he placed his hand on my shoulder.

After a short but embarassing silence he finally spoke up:
" How have you become the dwarves' family ?"
" My parents died and they raised me from a very young age. Actually not so young, in human years I was about 18 when they found me. But since my past life I don't remember, they are my family."

" So you were, raised there, in the blue mountains ?"
" Yes, yes I... I was." I answered sadly, thinking about Erebor.
" Your name is Bard, if I heard correctly." I smiled.
" You did. That is my name, Bard the Bargeman. And yours ? I suppose it's an elvish one." he giggled.
" Nathìniel." I offered him my hand to shake it.
" It's a pleasure to meet you Nathìniel." he took my hand and squeezed it warmly.

We stand there, starring at each other until I noticed Bard's frightened look.
" What's happening ?" I asked.
" The lake guards." he said and walked to others.
"  The money, quick. Give it to me." he ordered.
" Nathìniel, you haven't gave us your gems yet." Balin pointed out.
Oh no. The gems...
" I don't have any !" I panicked.

" What ? What do you mean you don't have any ?!" Thorin glarred at me with narrowed eyebrows.
" I gave them to a maid in Mirkwood halls." I replied, taking a step back.
" And why did you gave them to a maid in Mirkwood halls ???!!!!" he yelled at me.
Scared as a small mouse I didn't say anything.
" Why - did you - gave it- to a maid in Mirkwood halls ??!!!" Thorin kept asking.
" So I could pass unseen." I whispered.

" And what would had happen if you wouldn't gave it to her ?" Thorin lowered his voice but still it was full of irony.
" I would not be with you on this accursed ship !!!!" I yelled.
" Nathíniel, we don't... Actually... Need it." peeped Balin.
Really ???
" Give it to me, there are guards ahead." insisted Bard.

Balin gave him a small pouch of silver coins and we stopped at a port.
" Hide in the barells !" said Bard before he left us.
Not the barells again...
I climbed into it, accompanied by Kili and we were stuck together again.

" What is he doing ?" asked Kili who was shorter than me so he couldn't see.
" He's... Talking to someone... About... Us !"
" What do you think he'll do ?"
" I don't know maybe..."
Nooooo !!!! Fishes no !!!!!
Still they did it. They filled every barell with disgusting slimy fishes, sone of them were even moving, including the barell where I and Kili was.

" I think this is the worst part of our adventure." he lamented.
" I absolutely agree." I said and leaned closer to my brother.
" Now You can tell me more about Tauriel." I whispered.
" Well...  She has beautiful eyes. One time they are green and then they change to hazel and finally at light brown as honey. Oh and her hair... It's so smooth and long, I could stroke it  for eternity..."

This is how we continued talking.
Another problem besides the slimliness was that we couldn't hear anything that was happening above us.
We cuddled together and waited, a minute, two , three, an hour, a day, no one knows how long.