Can you promise ?

Night was cold but the joyful atmosphere was indescribable. Does the return of the king have such an impact on Master's mood ? Or is he planning something that we shouldn't know about ?
" Isn't it too cold to stand outside like that ?" a deep voice spoke behind me.
" Oh, It's you. " I smiled when I saw the well known face of a dark haired man. Bard.
" Look, I'm... I'm sorry for everything but... It is our duty. A duty that lied 60 years unfullfilled. If we don't open it, who would then ?" I remembered the talk between Thorin, Bard and the Master.

" No one." Bard cut me off.
" Are jewels all you care about ?? Once you waken the dragon there will be no future for this town." he spoke coldly.
" Is there now any future for it, Bard ?" I asked.
He stayed silent. He knew I was right.
" As long as it is ruled by this spoiled and corrupted man, there is no hope for this place."
" The people are open-hearted." he objected.

" Yes, the people. But they need someone who would lead them. Don't you know that a  leadless nation is no nation ?"
" Don't talk to me about nation !" he yelled.
" When will they have the chance to change ?" he asked, dangerously close to my face.
I didn't answer.
" When ??? When the city will burn ??? When our home will turn to ash ??? When the women will be dying on streets and children weeping for their fallen fathers ???"
" The place is not the city. The people are the city. You can evacuate Lake town and everyone will survive."
" And where will we go ?" he demured.

" Didn't you say that your blood runs through Dale ?"
" Yes... It does." Bard lowered his voice.
" Tell me, aren't the people of this city, all descendants of Daleians ?"
" They are."
" Bard you have the heart, you have the strenght to rebuild the forsaken town. To Return its old glory." I persueded.
" Indeed ?  How would it help us ? It lies deeper in the Dragon's shadow than Esgaroth does."
" Yes. But as soon as we reclaim our mountain back, the people of this town will have a better chance to live." I smiled.

" And and if you fail ?"
" Trust me, we won't let the dragon escape again." I put a comforting hand on his shoulder.
" Can you promise ?"
" I..." I stayed shocked.
" Can you promise ?" Bard asked again.
" I can not."
He sighed ironicly with that
"exactly as I thought" tone.
" But I can guarantee, that I will not forget my friend and his family until my last breath." I smiled and embraced him softly.
He wrapped his arms around me and caressed my head with his warm hand.

We stayed like this for a while and I watched the people in the town hall celebrating. There was the Master, sitting behind a long table and next to him on honorable spots sat Balin and Thorin. Others were eating happily, Bilbo and Bofur played some drinking game and as I watched I notice a band of Lakemen playing in the back and a few others preparing to dance.
" Come, we can join them !" I giggled, taking Bard's hand and rushing inside.
" Nathíniel, I can't dance!" he whispered.
" Of course you can. Everyone can dance ! In his own way." I laughed and took a step to right.

Joyful music was playing, me and Bard were spinning around.
" One, two, three..." counted Bard and then he spinned me so strong and so hard that I couldn't stop.
" I'm sorry !" he apologized over and over trying to stop me. When he finally made it I sat on the first chair nearby and grabbed the nearest glass without cariby what is in it.
" I'm sorry, I really am." he giggled
" That doesn't matter as long as I see you trippled." I laughed.
" It's just... I haven't dance like this since my wife died."
I looked to his hazel eyes drowned with sorrow.
" I can't even imagine how hard it must have been." I sighed but smiled immediately:
" Still it is impressing that you raised three children on your own."
" Actually it wasn't that hard. They did pretty much everything on their own." he laughed.
" But as years are passing I miss her more and more." he looked down, intertwining his fingers together.
" What was her name ?" I asked.
He starred into the wall for a while but then he said:
" Bella."
" It's a beautiful name." I smiled weakly.
" She was beautiful. You know... She reminded me of you. Well... You remind me of her." he giggled.
" How so ?" I strengthened my attention.
" She was really sweet, always forgiving everyone, trying to do all she could. She had a very similar look to you too. But one thing was making her different. Eyes. Her eyes were pitch black, dark as winter night."
A peaceful silence filled the hall.
Then I realised that it is empty, only me and Bard were sitting on velvet chairs.
" She died after she gave birth to our youngest child."
" Tilda." I whispered.
" I never told her. She would never forgive herself." said Bard
That moment a thought came into my head:
" I know how it is, to loose the one you love, your other half." I said sadly and Bard gave me a surprised look.
" How ?"
" When we were in Elven king's halls, I... I met someone. An elf."
" But..."
" I fell in love with him that moment. But I didn't have the chance to tell him. Propably he even didn't feel the same."
Bard wrapped his arms around me protectively and whispered into my ear:
" I'm sure he did."

Timeskip

I cuddled myself under a velvet blanket and peacefully fell asleep. Finally. After days of running and fighting a rest came. I closed my eyes and my curious mind flew away into a dream. A one that couldn't be forgotten so easily.