FOURTEEN

"Rain? Rain!"

Rain awoke with a start and squinted up at Adam who was gently shaking her by the shoulder. "What?"

"Wake up, tesoro mio."

"Why?" she groaned, rolling onto her side. "It's too early."

"I thought you might like to go into the village with me."

She sat up quickly at that, accidentally bumping heads with Adam.

"Ouch! Sorry," she said, rubbing her forehead. "The village? Like we'd actually leave the manor?"

Adam was still scowling at being knocked in the head but nodded. "I thought we could pick up some more Christmas decorations."

"Yes! Absolutely!"

"Great!" he grinned. "I'll go get the kids ready."

The smile on Rain's face dimmed a bit. "Oh, the kids are coming?"

"Yes, and my mother and sister. I thought we could make it a family affair. Unless you are opposed?"

"No, no. That sounds lovely. I'll just hop into the shower."

An hour later, they were all bundled up and seated comfortably in the back of a limousine on the way into the small village near the manor. The first snow of the season had fallen the night before and everything was coated in a thick layer of it. It made the already picturesque village even more quaint.

The village was nestled at the bottom of two mountains and straddled the border of Andalia and Italy.

Sunny's face was pressed to the glass the entire ride and she burst out of the car as soon as it came to a stop in the town square.

"Sunny! Come back here!" Rain shouted, scrambling out of the limo behind her daughter.

"I've got her!" Emily called, grabbing Sunny by the back of her puffy winter coat and swinging her up into a tight embrace. "Where do you think you're going, little girl?" She tickled the giggling child.

"I want to go play!"

"How about some hot chocolate first?" Adam suggested. The cheerful brood made their way into a cozy bakery and settled in for a treat.

"Daddy?" Sunny asked, climbing into Adam's lap.

"Yes?"

"What's there to do here?"

"Well, there's plenty to do. We can go sledding or ice skating or--"

"Ice skating! Ice skating!" Sunny shrieked, causing several other patrons to smile in their direction.

Adam laughed. "Okay, okay. Let's enjoy the hot chocolate first!"

"And after?" Sunny questioned excitedly.

"We'll go ice skating."

A short while later, they all emerged from the bakery feeling warm and full with Sunny and Alexander leading the way, dragging Adam behind them.

Emily looped her arm through Rain's with a smile. "Do you know how to ice skate?"

"Technically, yes," Rain replied with a laugh. "But it's been a long time."

"Well, my brother is an excellent skater. He was on an ice hockey team when we were younger."

"That's nice, although I have no idea what it has to do with me."

"There's no way he'll let you fall, if you get what I mean," Emily said, winking at Rain.

"I have no idea what you're talking about."