SIX

Rain ran frantically up and down the stairs of Canmore Manor checking each and every room. A game of hide and seek with Sunny and the boys had gone horribly awry somehow and here she was an hour later, still looking for the kids. It didn't help that she was wearing the restricting uniform that Adam enforced on all of his employees or that Mrs. Schmidt had returned to Germany to visit a sick relative leaving Rain alone in charge of the three children.

Two months had passed since she and Sunny had arrived in Andalia and they were finally hitting their stride. Lessons with the boys were going well, though Jonathan still did not approve of her teaching methods. She had been surprised that he had not told on her to his father but she quickly realized that it was because he only saw his father once a day, at their silent dinner. She thought that it was just sad how little time Adam spent with his sons but she had not yet arrived at a tactful way to address that issue with him.

Despite his disdain for Rain, Jonathan had taken a liking to Sunny and had become extremely overprotective of her. Both he and Alexander behaved like older brothers to her, but Jonathan took it to another level.

Alexander had taken every opportunity to get closer to Rain. She could tell that he was a creative child but the strict rules of his father were stifling that side of him. That was yet another topic she wanted to bring up with Adam.

Adam himself was an enigma. Rain had been going to the garden to read every night after dinner and almost every night he would join her. Some nights he would talk with her or invite her for a walk. Most nights he would bring a book of his own and they would read in comfortable silence. She often found herself distracted by his presence, taking long pauses to stare at him. Despite his personality flaws, he was still a breathtaking specimen.

None of that was as important at that moment, though, as finding Sunny. It wasn't as if she could be in any real danger but Rain still worried about her getting into things she shouldn't be in.

A few minutes later, she was able to breathe a sigh of relief. She had reluctantly walked into Adam's library to ask if he'd seen the kids and was greeted with a most peculiar sight. Jonathan and Alexander were seated at Adam's feet and Sunny was cradled in his arms, drifting off to sleep as he read them a children's story from his kindle.

She started to interrupt but he shook his head and kept reading. She slipped quietly into a nearby armchair with a smile. Alexander heard her sit down and ran to crawl into her lap, quickly nodding off as well.

By the time Adam finished the book and all three children were asleep. Jonathan had climbed into the armchair next to Rain's and passed out on her shoulder.

"I'm so sorry they disturbed you, Adam," Rain whispered. "We were playing hide and seek and they're just really good at it."

He frowned. "Aren't they supposed to be in afternoon lessons right now?"

She paled. "Uh, yes they are--"

"Shh," he said, glancing down and Sunny who was shifting in his arms. Rain felt her heart stir as she watched her daughter wrap her little arms more tightly around Adam's neck and settle more deeply into sleep. Adam smiled down at her and brushed one of her stray curls out of her face.

"I think we should let them nap a bit," he said after a while.

"Okay. Let me get the boys upstairs and I'll come back for Sunny," Rain said, trying to stand without disturbing the twins.

Adam crossed the room and easily scooped Jonathan into his free arm. "Just bring Alexander. I've got these two."

Rain thought she saw him kiss the top of Sunny's head but chalked it up to delirium from hunger and exhaustion. She followed him upstairs to the nursery and laid Alexander in his bed, stroking his dark hair with a smile. She was confused when Adam laid Jonathan next to him.