FIFTEEN

Emily and Grace arrived with the twins not long after Sunny had been taken back for x-rays. Rain comforted Jonathon and Alexander who were both beside themselves with worry. Thankfully, the x-rays were done relatively quickly and revealed only a small fracture that would heal with a brace.

The sun was beginning to set by the time Sunny was discharged from the hospital and they were all tired and hungry.

"Well this was an eventful day," Adam commented ruefully as he carried Sunny outside. "How about we head back to the manor for dinner and a movie?"

"What about the festival?" Emily asked.

Adam shot her a warning look but it was too late. Sunny slowly lifted her head from his shoulder. "Festival? There's a festival? I want to go to the festival!"

"I know you do, sweetheart, but you need to get some rest--"

"Daddy, please! I promise I don't need rest! Please!" She batted her long eyelashes at him trying to wear him down.

"You'll have to ask your mother."

Rain glared at him. She hated when he made her the bad guy. "Sunny, I think we need to go home--"

She was cut off by Jonathan pulling on her hand. "Can't we just go for a little while?" he asked quietly.

Alexander took her other hand. "We'll be on our best behavior. Please?"

It was hard enough telling Sunny no but now all three children were looking at her with puppy dog eyes.

"Yeah, Rain. We'll be on our best behavior," Emily chimed in, trying not to laugh.

Rain was not amused. "One hour," she conceded. "And then we go straight home and to bed. With no complaints. Is that understood?"

The children nodded gleefully and they all walked back toward the town square. A short while later they arrived and were greeted with a merry sight. Twinkle lights adorned every building and folks were gathering around a towering Christmas tree in the center of the square.

Emily leaned over to Rain. "Tonight begins the winter festival that runs until the new year. We kick things off with the Christmas tree lighting."

Despite her initial reservations, Rain had a splendid time. Canmore Manor had everything they could ever need but it was so nice to be around other people again. A children's chorus sang O Holy Night as more and more people gathered until they were packed shoulder to shoulder in the square.

A man carrying a box of ornaments stopped by their group and they each picked out an ornament to put on the tree. After paying the man, Adam leaned down to whisper in Rain's ear. "Are you enjoying yourself?"

"Huh?" She replied with a little jump. "Yes, it's all so wonderful. I'm just a little tired." She gave him her most convincing smile but he still seemed wary.

By the time the mayor finally lit the tree, Sunny had fallen asleep on Adam's shoulder and Jonathan was fading fast. Alexander and Emily, however, were still alight with excitement. Alexander sang Christmas carols in Italian the entire ride back to the manor and was extremely sad when Rain sent him and the other children straight to bed as promised.

Hoping to avoid another awkward conversation about her feelings with Adam, Rain quietly slipped out of the nursery once all three children were asleep and started the long walk back to her suite.

Her mind was swirling with unwelcome thoughts and anxiety and every new thought contradicted the previous one. "I never thought someone would love me again...how do I know he's not just saying that so I won't leave when the year is up? I don't want Sunny to get hurt if things go south...she already calls him 'daddy' and would be so upset if I told her to stop..."