SIXTEEN

The manor was unnervingly quiet with Adam and the kids gone. The first day they were gone, Rain spent the day reading in the library, grateful not to have any interruptions or be covered in dirt or paint.

But by lunchtime the second day, she was ready for them all to come back. She tried calling her father and Liza but they were both busy. Rain was eating a sandwich in the kitchen by herself when Noah found her.

"There you are," he said, pulling a stool up next to her. "I was beginning to think you'd spend all night in the library.

"Ha, ha, ha," Rain replied dryly. "What are you doing here? I thought you'd be with Adam."

Noah shook his head and took a chip from Rain's plate. "He has a different security guard that travels with him. I'm here to look after you."

She scoffed. "I'm not a child in need of a babysitter."

"He knows that."

"Whatever, Noah. How are Sara and the baby?"

"They're fine," he responded with a serene smile. "Sara is actually relieved to have some time off and is enjoying being at home with him."

"See, I told you everything would work out just fine."

"I know, I know. I should have trusted that things would resolve themselves with time. Meanwhile, what's going on with you and Adam?"

Rain pulled her long, black hair over her eyes and groaned. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Too bad," he said, sticking his tongue out at her. "He's head over heels for you. Do you not feel the same about him?"

"Yes...no...I don't know, Noah! It's all so overwhelming. I swore off men after what happened with Sunny's dad."

"What happened with her dad?" he probed.

She bristled at his question. "Nothing worth discussing."

"Rain, I didn't mean to upset you. "

"Don't worry about it. Can we just change the subject?"

"Of course but for what it's worth, this is the happiest I've seen him in a long time and definitely the happiest I've ever seen the boys."

She nodded and got up to put her plate in the sink. "I'm feeling a little tired. I think I'll go take a nap."

Noah frowned but nodded. "Okay. I'll be in the my office if you need me."

The rest of the day and the next moved at a glacial pace. When Adam and the kids hadn't returned by dinner time on Wednesday as promised, Rain was more than just a little irritated. She settled into a cushy chair in the theater and turned on a movie with the hope of distracting herself.

She was so deep in thought about Adam and the kids that she lost track of time and didn't notice him come into the room a while later.

Adam paused at the door studying the petite, raven-haired beauty. She was twirling a long lock of her hair around her finger and chewing on the thumbnail of her other hand. He noticed that she always did this when she was nervous about something.

He shook his head with a small smile and walked over to her.

"Did you miss me?" he whispered in her ear.

Rain jumped in surprise and spun around to see who it was. "Geez Adam! You scared the absolute fuck out of me. Where are the kids?"

"In bed." Adam replied, grinning down at her. "Well? Did you miss me or not?"