EIGHT

To Rain's infinite relief, Adam had some work to do and could not join them for lessons. She was terrified of how angry he'd be at her teaching techniques. Not that it would have mattered if he was there because Emily was a huge distraction anyway.

She insisted on canceling the lessons and spending the day having fun. It didn't take much on her part to convince Rain, who thought the children spent far too much time in lessons already. Emily bullied Noah into keeping Adam away so that she and Rain could orchestrate a scavenger hunt for the kids.

The kids enjoyed themselves immensely and to Rain's great surprise, Jonathan was the one who had the most fun. He even cracked a smile once or twice.

By the time dinner rolled around, they were all giddy with excitement and exhausted from the fun day with Aunt Emily. The mood shifted as soon as they approached the great hall. Jonathan's stoic demeanor returned and even Alexander and Sunny became quiet and more serious.

Rain wanted to scream in frustration and disappointment. The boys had finally come out of their shells and the mere idea of having dinner with their father sent them scurrying back in. That was the final straw. She had to say something to Adam.

They all sat down at the table quietly and Emily frowned. "What just happened? Why does it feel strange all of a sudden?"

She didn't get her answer because the doors opened and in walked Adam, his face as stony as ever. It was if the Adam from the horseback ride that morning was simply a dream.

"Good evening everyone," he said coldly, taking his seat at the head of the table.

"Good evening," they all mumbled in response after standing to greet him.

Emily looked thoroughly bewildered. "Adam--"

"Do not start with me, Emily. I am not in the mood. Just eat." His voice was laced with so much anger that she actually listened to him. "By the way, Mother wants to know where you are."

Emily paled. "You saw mother today?"

He clenched his jaw and nodded.

"I'm sorry Adam. I didn't mean to--"

"Don't."

She nodded solemnly and stood up. Rain could see the tears in her eyes from across the room.

"I will take my leave."

Emily walked toward the door with her shoulders slumped.

"Em," Adam started, his voice a little softer. "Noah will take you home in the morning. Come and finish eating."

She spun around quickly, her pale blue eyes filled with relief. "You're not angry with me?"

"Oh, I am beyond angry with you. You have created more problems than you know." He glanced over at Rain who was wearing her usual look of confusion. That made him want to smile.

"What did mother say?"

"We'll talk about it later, Em. We're being rude. Now sit down and shut up."

She nodded and scurried back over to the table, hugging her brother tightly. He grimaced but endured it without a word.

Dinner continued as if nothing had happened and Emily talked endlessly, eventually getting everyone to join in. Rain looked over to Adam who looked simultaneously irritated and amused.

After some time had passed, Rain stood up. "Alright, kids. Say goodnight!"

All three children and Emily started to whine and complain.