TWO

"Abeoji, I've told you already. I won't change my mind," Rain said, balancing her phone between her ear and her shoulder as she zipped up the last suitcase.

"Why not? Your mother and I would love for you and Sunny to come live with us in Korea."

"You know why we can't."

Her father scoffed. "Your inability to speak Korean is hardly a valid reason."

"Hey! I never said I couldn't speak Korean."

"I know. I'm saying you can't speak Korean."

Rain rolled her eyes. "Whatever. I don't want want to give up on myself just yet. And if I come to Korea and let you and mom take care of Sunny and I, what kind of example am I setting for her?"

"You're showing her that family helps each other when things are hard."

"I appreciate the offer, but my answer is still no."

He sighed. "Okay. But you call us the first sign of trouble and we'll have you and Sunny on a plane here asap."

"Fine," Rain agreed begrudgingly. "I have to go now. We have to get to the airport. Happy new year. Love you."

She hung up the phone and looked around her now-empty apartment with a sigh. All of their furniture had been moved into storage and the rest of their belongings had gone ahead to their new home.

She tried to remain optimistic but it was hard. She still had not met this elusive new employer of hers but had simply received a file on the twins, a short letter of gratitude and their flight itinerary. What was even stranger were the details of her contract. She had agreed to stay a minimum of one year and was not allowed to talk about the details of the job or where they were staying with anyone.

"Mommy? Are you ready to go?"

Rain was shaken from her thoughts by her baby girl. She looked adorable in a pale pink dress and her dark, curly hair in two pigtails.

"Yeah, baby I'm ready. Let's go."

Rain, Liza, and Sunny piled into a taxi with the two suitcases and headed to JFK. It was absolutely packed as people headed home from their holiday vacations.

"Promise me you'll call me at least twice a week," Liza whispered. "And Facetime too, so I can see my sweet goddaughter."

"I promise," Rain replied with a sad smile. Liza had been her best friend since they were little girls and it felt strange to be going leaving her for such an extended period of time.

All too quickly, they arrived at the terminal where a tall man in a suit wearing dark sunglasses was waiting and holding a sign with her name on it.

"Miss Rain Dae?" He asked, as they approached with their bags.

Rain nodded in confusion. "Yes? And who are you?"

"And I presume the little one is miss Sunny Dae?" he asked, ignoring Rain's question.

Sunny hid behind her mother and also nodded.

"Hmm. Alright, well my name is Noah and I'll be your bodyguard. Follow me please." He took Rain's bags from her and turned on his heel.

"Wait!" Rain called after him. "No one said anything about a bodyguard. What do I need a bodyguard for?"

"That is need to know information, Miss Dae. And I'm afraid that at this time you do not need to know. Can we please go? We're on a tight schedule."

"Can we at least say goodbye to my friend?" She asked quietly.

Noah looked at his watch. "You have two minutes."