TEN

"Adam we have to talk," Rain said quietly after they had put three very worn out kids to bed.

"I concur. Come with me."

He walked out of the nursery without checking to see if she was following him. She looked over at Noah who was wearing a knowing smile on his face.

"Don't you look at me all smug like that," she said trying to sound stern, but failing to keep the grin off of her face. She ran over and gave him a quick hug. "I missed you, you big jackass. Rebecca's--"

"A total bore? Oh, I know," he said with a laugh. "I have so much to tell you but it can wait until later. Go talk to Master Canmore."

"See you in the morning?"

"Definitely."

Rain sprinted out of the nursery, slightly worried that Adam had left her behind. She found him at the top of the stairway, leaning against the wall while he checked his email.

"So sorry," she exhaled, trying to catch her breath.

"It's fine. I know you and Noah are good friends and you probably missed him."

Her eyebrows rose in surprise. "Yeah, I did."

"Come on. I want to tell you something."

Adam led Rain to their spot in the garden and gestured for her to sit down. Taking the seat next to her, he stared at her for a long moment, unsure of how to begin. "I want to tell you about Alessia."

Rain's eyes widened. "Adam you don't have to tell me about that if you don't want to--"

"I want to," he interjected. "I like you, Rain. It's totally inappropriate, I know. If you don't feel the same way tell me now and I'll stop. But I must make my intentions known. I was trying to tell you all of this before my stupid sister came and ruined everything."

Rain was stunned into silence. "I...but you...what?" she stammered. "You like me? Why?"

It was Adam's turn to be surprised. "What's not to like? You're funny, smart, and kind, absolutely beautiful. My sons love you and you make me want to be a better person and father."

She blushed. "Yeah, about that. I wanted to talk to you about something Jonathan said earlier."

Adam stuck his lip out in a pout, reminding Rain so much of Alexander that she burst out laughing.

"Can you answer my question before we talk about the boys?"

"What question?"

"Do you reciprocate my feelings?"

"Oh. I'm not sure. I mean, I definitely feel something but..."

"But what?"

"I don't know." She looked down at her hands to avoid meeting Adam's gaze.

"How about this," he started. "Let me take you on a date tomorrow and we'll see how it goes."

"That sounds reasonable," Rain replied.

"Perfezionare!" he exclaimed in Italian, the boyish grin on his face so wide Rain expected his face to crack at any second. "Now, what did you want to tell me about Jonathan?"

"It can wait. I want to know what you were going to tell me about Alessia?"

The smile disappeared from his face and was replaced with a sorrowful expression. He sighed. "Alessia was Jonathan and Alexander's mother." He reached into his suit jacket and pulled out a worn photo, handing it to Rain.