NINE

"Miss Dae?"

Rain tore her gaze from the window to look at Jonathan. "Yes, sweetheart?"

"We're done with this activity."

She glanced over and saw that all three children were indeed finished with their work. "Good job you guys! Let's get washed up for dinner. Maybe we'll have time to watch a movie after," she said with a smile.

Sunny and Alexander jumped down from their chairs and ran into the bathroom cheering. Rain started to clear the table but noticed Jonathan was still sitting there.

"Is something wrong?"

"Do you know when my father will return?"

Rain felt her heart drop as the little boy looked up at her, hope in his bright blue eyes. "I'm sorry, honey. I'm not sure. I can ask Rebecca again if you'd like."

"That's okay," he said with a sigh, hopping down from his chair. "Thanks anyway."

She frowned at his retreating form and once again tried to tame the anger that had been bubbling up inside her for the last two weeks. After Rain and Emily's drunken night, Adam had disappeared without a word to any of the staff. Since Mrs. Schmidt was still back home caring for her relative, Rain was still the sole caretaker of the kids.

What was worse, was that Adam had taken Noah and Emily with him and so Rain was stuck with Rebecca for company. Rebecca was nice for the most part but she was dreadfully dull. Despite Adam's absence, she insisted that the house still be run as if he were present. That meant silent dinners in the great hall and no real fun.

Rain had never been one to follow rules anyway so she skirted around Rebecca's enforced protocol with ease. Movie nights had become a staple for her and the children once Rebecca headed to her own quarters. Rain, with help from a couple of maids, set up a television in Jonathan and Alexander's room and every night someone new would get to pick the movie.

This particular night was Sunny's choice and she, of course, chose the Little Mermaid. Alexander and Sunny settled in together at the foot of the bed but Jonathan chose to join Rain at the head.

As the movie progressed, Rain noticed Jonathan sliding closer and closer toward her. She kept her attention on the movie as to not alarm him.

"Miss Dae?" he whispered. At this point, he was so close to her that his curly hair was touching her arm. "Can I--uh..."

"What's that dear?"

"Can I--can you hold me?"

Rain gasped and tried to hide her shock. "Of course I'll hold you. Come here."

"I must inform you that I haven't been held since I was a baby--"

He yelped as Rain pulled him into her arms and snuggled him close, wrapping the blankets tightly around them. He settled in, laying his face on her chest so he could still see the movie and let out a sigh of contentment.

Rain kissed him on the forehead. "I got you, sweetheart. I promise I've always got you."

She felt his tears trickle down her chest and felt like crying herself. "Do you want to talk about it?" she asked quietly, gently stroking his hair.

He shook his head and wiped his tears on her shirt before falling into a deep sleep. Sunny and Alexander clambered to either side of Rain and they all drifted off to sleep after a while as well.

And that's how Adam found the four of them. Asleep in the twins' bed while the title menu of the little mermaid played on repeat.

"You should take a picture, Master Canmore," Noah teased. "It'll last longer."