Chapter 21

His ass hurt

His ass hurt.

Jason, the motherfucker true to his word had shot him in the ass and Charlie had almost cried with how much it hurt. He liked pain, but only the 'I just got fucked in the ass' kind, not the 'I got hit with a fucking paintball' kind. He glared daggers at Jason and if looks could kill, he would be buried six feet under the ground by the time they got out of the field.

He walked up behind Jason as they scoured the parking lot for Liam's car. Charlie playfully bumped into him, grinning when the other man let out a small yelp. "Shit!"

Jason then huffed out laugh, retaliating by bumping against him and he must've not realized his own physical strength because the force of it knocked the air out of Charlie's lungs, catching him off balance and sent him reeling to the ground. 

He grabbed Jason by his jacket just in time for the both of them to plummet to the hard concrete ground, giggling hysterically. They probably looked like idiots, tangled up together on the floor, neither of them making an effort to get up. 

Charlie groaned, finally getting up and holding his hand out for Jason, who let himself be dragged into a standing position. 

"My ass hurts"

Jason chuckled, looking at him teasingly, "I wonder why", the innuendo was clear in his tone and it made Charlie snort as he dusted his cargos, "Guess you hit me either way", he winked at him for good measure.

Jason smiled at that, eyes softening fondly, "Yeah I guess I did"

Charlie winced as he felt his ass throb when he moved and muttered under his breath, sighing when Liam called out for them from where he had spotted his car. 

Jason cringed when he saw Charlie glaring at him, he shrugged, "Don't hate the player, Hayes, hate the game" and Charlie wacked him on the head, "Jesus Charls!"

Liam laughed at the both of them as he drove them to a diner, stopping by Mia's house to pick her up. Paintball was something Mia had never enjoyed so they made it up to her by doing something else she enjoyed which including cooking or rock climbing. Charlie had to admit, he really did enjoy baking with her. So far he knew how to make the perfect chocolate chip cookies and even better brownies. He was pretty proud of it. 

The diner was a compact but homely place where most of the kids from school hung out. Riverside was a small town so basically everyone knew each other, which was a real problem considering how fast drama spread in a town like that. 

Charlie frowned when Mia got into the car, something was off, her face was covered by her hood and she barely even looked at them when the waitress came over to note down their orders.

"Mia?", he called out softly, reaching over to touch her hand slightly. Mia flinched a bit, her head jerking up and her eyes widening. Charlie froze, his mouth dropping open at the sight of Mia's bruised cheek. It vaguely resembled the shape of a palm, indented against the skin.