Chapter 40

Charlie and Jason - 10 years old

"I hate you", 10 year old Charlie said to his best friend as tears streamed down his face, his hands clutching the broken project he had worked all night on. Broken because Jason had toppled onto it, crushing it.

"Charlie, I'm sorry!", Jason grabbed the remains of the project, frantically trying to put it back together, his hands shaking,"I didn't- I didn't mean to, it was an accident"

"I don't care! I wish I had never met you!", a part of Charlie knew he was being irrational but the other part was too hurt to care. He pushed away from Jason, trying not to react at the hurt look on his face, hand wiping at his tears , wanting to get as far away as he possibly could.

Charlie found himself kicking the trunk of a tree, right next to their school's playground, it was where Jason and he used to hang out a lot.

"You okay, kid?", a voice rang out making him startle.

Oh no, Coach Langley.

Charlie jumped back, almost stumbling at falling on his butt.

"Yes sir", he said, trying to hide his tears but not surprisingly, he failed. Miserably.

Coach Langley raised an eyebrow at him, "And if you were not okay, what would be the reason?"

Charlie sighed grumpily, "Jason", he pointed to the school building, "He broke my project! I worked so hard on it"

"And now I'm going to fail", his voice trembled. He didn't want to fail. It wasn't fair.

"Did he do it on purpose?"

Charlie pouted, "Well no"

"Do you think you should forgive him, then?"

"But he! But- yeah maybe", He looked down at his shoes, suddenly ashamed of the way he had treated his best friend. He knew that if Jason had been in his place, he would've grabbed Charlie's hand and reassured him that it was okay and that it wasn't his fault.

He looked up at his Coach who was sporting a look that only adults were capable of sporting, thoughtful and understanding.

"I gotta-", without finishing his sentence, Charlie ran over to his class, repeating how he would apologize to Jason in his head. To his utter dismay, he couldn't find Jason anywhere and he had searched almost everywhere. Everywhere except their cafeteria. The place was unusually crowded and considering how tall the other kids were, Charlie couldn't see anything.

Charlie had made a pinky promise to Jason that they would always be best friends, no matter what and dad had told him that promises were special and to break one meant to break something precious.

Frustrated and knowing he could get into trouble for it, he did the only thing that could get Jason's attention.

He jumped on top of the cafeteria table, giving him a view of the whole room. Charlie caught his teacher's eye but he quickly looked away, cringing slightly and pretending he hadn't seen her. hehe

Finally, his gaze met Jason's, whose eyes widened almost comically. But then he turned away, lips set in tight line and before Jason could slip out of the room, Charlie risked everything and called out for him.

Jason's head whipped up.

"I'm sorry!", Charlie yelled at him. If he was going to get into trouble anyway, he might as well make it worth it. "D-don't look away please, YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND"

"Charls-"

Jason let out a strangled laugh before rushing up to him and grabbing him by the leg, "Get down you crazy idiot, people are staring"

Charlie giggled, mostly because yes, people were staring at them but Jason was talking to him, that had been the goal right?

"Mr Hayes!", His teacher shouted at him but Charlie had already grabbed onto Jason's hand and they were making a quick escape for the exit. Jason was holding his hand and laughing with him, he would deal with everything else tomorrow.