Chapter 23

Jason

Jason

Jason was pissed- no, he was downright livid. And also hurt. Charlie had broken things off with him from out of the blue! It had caught him off guard and Jason hated being caught off guard. It made him feel vulnerable in a way he didn't like. 

Things had been going so well with them, they both got sex almost everyday and Jason was actually starting to like the man.

Like, like him.

Jason sighed as he pressed his forehead to the wall. It was a strange gesture, but the pressure against his forehead, grounded some of the racing thoughts in his head. 

Yes, he had thought about them in a relationship together but he wasn't exactly sure Charlie felt the same way about him. They had never talked about the possibility of catching feelings. 

But the "break up" had  confirmed his suspicion that fucking was all it had been to Charlie. It sucked. His chest hurt every time he thought about the other man, but he would get over it. He had to. The only thing he knew about loss was to never linger on what he lost, it would only lead to spiraling deeper into his head. 

So, Jason did the one thing that would hopefully take his mind off things. He called the cute waiter and told her he wanted to go out with her. It wasn't the best choice he'd ever made, but it wasn't the worst either. It would do. 

He didn't know why he said okay to the date but it had presented the right opportunity to rile Charlie up. Jason was bi, but his attraction to women was really subdued as compared to his attraction to men. He had tried to completely figure his sexuality out but soon he had gotten frustrated and just went along with whatever he felt. 

Maddie and him had decided to go to the park, just to see if they clicked and if they didn't, they would go their separate ways. It seemed like a fair enough plan.

Jason dressed up in a shirt, staring at his mirror before he cringed, realizing how unlike himself he looked. He tossed the shirt away, grabbing a hoodie instead. He spotted one of Charlie's t shirts, draped over his chair. His hand instinctively reached for it and he pressed it to his nose, breathing in the musky scent that was potently Charlie's.

God, he wanted him.

No.

He threw the shirt onto his bed, muttering to himself.

Jason was going to go on a date with the pretty waiter, they were going to fall in love and he was going to forget about Charlie Hayes. Now that sounded like a plan.

Maddie smiled at him, reaching out to hold his hand. Jason took it with an awkward smile.

They were sat against one of the park benches, just talking.

"Look I love vanilla ice cream but chocolate wi-holy fuck no", Jason trailed off as his nightmare walked into the flowered archway, laughing at something his brother had said.