Chapter 27

"Andromeda if I have to tell you to stand up straight one more time I will wrap this necklace around your throat."

Andromeda's back instantly straightened as she gasped. Her mother had never exactly been kind, but she'd never spoken so violently before. This wasn't really the time to make a fuss about it though, not if she wanted to survive the evening.

"Mistress?" One of the house elves timidly peaked her head into the room. "Your guests are arriving."

"Already?" Her mother snapped. "Well, did you invite them in?" She didn't really ask the elf, more snarled at her, which was probably why the elf threw her arms over head her head as her mother stormed past. Mrs. Black paid no mind to her though as she rushed out of the room.

Andromeda started to breathe out, only to realize that the corset wrapped around her robes prevented her from doing so. She waved her hand, making the various instruments and make-up brushes that had been magically working around her fall to floor, before turning to the mirror. She thought she looked... nice, or at least well-groomed. She was sure her mother would find something wrong with her appearance, but if their guests were already arriving, then there was no time to fix it.

Pushing her worries aside, she gathered up her skirts and followed her mother out of the room. She'd never been a fan of her family's yearly Christmas party, but this year she felt like she was walking into a horde in Inferi.

Her sisters were already there, having not required their mother's personal attention to get ready. Neither of them looked at her as she entered the room. She was used to that behavior from Bellatrix, but from Narcissa, it stung.

Their first guests looked up at her entrance, unfortunately. Her stomach clenched as she saw Rabastan. Too her surprise his polite nod was accompanied by the faintest of smiles. His parents on the other hand, merely looked her down, their eyes narrowed like they were inspecting her.

Andromeda felt her pulse quicken under their stare, even though there was no way they'd know about her recent unpureblood-like behavior. Still, there was something in their eyes, especially Mrs. Lestrange, that made her feel like they could see right through her.

"Does your daughter make it a habit of keeping people waiting?" Mr. Lestrange huffed, lifting his nose in the air.

"Please, father." Rabastan rolled his eyes. "Andromeda was just making a dramatic entrance."

Andromeda couldn't hide her surprise at the callous way Rabastan spoke to his parents, or the fact that he was defending her to them. Thankfully, no one seemed to notice her reaction. If anything, her mother was glancing between the two off them with an odd expression on her face, like she was trying to smile.

"Where's your elder son?" Her father asked Mr. Lestrange.

"He had some last-minute business to attend too." Mr. Lestrange replied. Andromeda perked up. Rodolphus wasn't coming? Perhaps this party would be bearable after all.

"He said he'd join us later," Mr. Lestrange finished, and Andromeda slumped. She should've known better than to get her hopes up. She couldn't help but glance at Narcissa guiltily. She still hadn't told anyone about Rodolphus. She'd spent the last couple weeks of term finding excuses to keep the two of them occupied, and she'd taken to sleeping in the common room to keep Narcissa from sneaking out. She wasn't having midnight rendezvous with Ted anymore, so she had the time.

None of these were permanent solutions though, she just didn't know what else to do, short of confronting Rodolphus herself. She had a feeling that would just make things worse.

"Oh, look, the Malfoys are here," Mrs. Black said, and the party moved into the room aptly named the greeting room.

Rabastan stayed behind so he could fall in step with Andromeda. When no one was looking he leaned down in her ear and whispered, "You look really beautiful."