Chapter 59

It was a long walk from the door to her gate. Her tears had mostly subsided by then, but the streaks they'd left on her cheeks would take longer to fade. She couldn't stop herself from gazing at the flowers and fountains as she walked by. Earlier they had looked forebodden to her, but now, they just looked empty. Still. Lifeless. There were moments on the walk where she felt like them, especially when her sister's screams started to play in her head. It would send a new wave of tears each time.

She could have apparated once she was far enough away from the house, but even the idea was exhausting. Besides, she had no idea if Ted was still at Wimbley Field or where he had gone. It might take her some time to find him, but she would. Of that, she was certain.

She opened the gate, and then had to duck as a curse flew over her head. There was a gasp, and a minute later a gangly figure with hair like the sun stumbled out from the bushes.

He looked exactly the same as when she had left him. Wild and desperate and close to shattering, but as his shock at seeing her faded, the light returned.

The next second, their arms were around each other, squeezing tight enough to put their broken pieces back together.

Too soon they were releasing each other though. Ted's hands didn't leave her though, they just moved to the sides of her face.

The stunned smile at finding her again faded as he noticed her bloodshot eyes.

"Are you all right?" His hands traced the tear-lines on her cheek, his caress so gentle she thought she would melt.

Despite the heaviness that lingered in her soul, she smiled. "I will be."

"Where's Lorie?" Jake's voice surprised her. She'd been so focused on Ted, she hadn't realized Jake and Olivia were with him. She should have known better than to think they would wait around for her. This must have been their version of a rescue mission.

"She's fine." Andromeda frowned. "Actually, she's probably unconscious somewhere in Daigon Alley, so we should find her. She'll be—confused— when she wakes up."

"I don't understand." Ted shook his head. "What happened in there?"

She owed him the truth, but now was too soon to relive that trauma, so instead she smiled serenely and replied, "It's over, that is what matters."

She took his hands in hers, and she saw a shiver pass over his body. "Do you think your mom would be alright if I stayed with you for a while? Not forever, just until I figure some things out."

Ted was beaming so much from her words, it was like he was about to become the sun. He didn't respond, he just leaned down and kissed her.

She sighed sweetly as she melted under his lips. Their hands quickly wrapped around each other. Ted's kisses were so joyful and warm, she'd thought she'd float away under them.

"Sorry to break up a tender moment," Jake's impatient voice pulled them apart. "But didn't you say Lorie was in a compromising situation somewhere in Daigon Alley?"

Right. Lorie. They had to save Lorie.

"Sorry," she mumbled. She pulled out her wand, which reminded her. "Actually, you all can go to Daigon Alley. I need to pay a quick visit to someone."

"Someone?" Ted asked, his eyebrow cocking up.

She felt herself blush. "Lily Evans."

Ted nearly choked on his own surprise. "Evans?" His incredulity was almost comical.

She placed a hand on his arm. "I'll explain later."

His curiosity was in no way satisfied, but he nodded. Their hands intertwined one more time. The last thing she wanted to do right now was leave Ted, but it was alright. For once, she didn't have to worry about when she would see him again. Their lives had become irrevocably entangled now.

He released her hand, slowly, as they both prepared to apparate. Their eyes didn't leave each other until they were forced through that uncomfortable wind tunnel.

When she arrived on the other side, and managed to catch her breath, there was a smile on her face. And it was one even the darkest of storms couldn't take away.