Chapter 50

TW WARNING: NON-CONSENSUAL SEXUAL ASSAULT

"Thank you, Star, but I can manage from here." Andromeda almost regretted those words. The few fastenings Star had managed to loosen on her had just made breathing possible. Once Andromeda spoke, Star paused. She did not, however, bow and leave the room, as was house-elf protocol.

"Is something amiss?" Andromeda asked, trying to keep her voice polite despite her frustration. To her chagrined, Star flinched. Andromeda had always been kinder than the rest of her household when it came to the house-elves, but she supposed disobeying a direct order from her mistress was still shaky ground for any house-elf.

"I'm sorry, mistress Andromeda. It's just that... The Mistress insisted." She didn't elaborate, and Andromeda didn't need her to. They always referred to her mother simply as "The Mistress," and always with that same tone of fear.

Andromeda tried to keep her voice steady as she said, "I will handle my mother." She even gave Star a smile that almost looked real. Uncertainty lingered in Star's eyes, and she felt a pang of guilt that she was asking this of Star. Due to Andromeda's kindness, Star had often gone out of her way to serve Andromeda. She hated to put her in a compromising position. But she needed to be alone right now.

Star didn't dare disobey a direct order twice, so she bowed and scurried to the door. Just before she closed the door behind her she turned and said:

"Mistress Andromeda?"

Andromeda turned in surprise. It was uncommon for house-elves to speak out of turn. Not that she minded, it just caught her off-guard.

Star smiled. "You look very pretty."

This time Andromeda's smile was real. "Thank you, Star."

When Star finally left, Andromeda turned toward the mirror. "Very pretty" was one way of describing her appearance. Overgrown, albino peacock would be another. Her wedding robes were so covered in lace and beads it was difficult to believe fabric lay underneath. Though the robes were tight at her waist, they fanned out into a full skirt that was wider than her arm span, easily. The fabric was layered all the way to the floor, like feathers. Her sleeves were probably her least favorite part. They were tight until they reached her wrist, at which point they fanned out until they were practically dragging on the floor. And then there was her headpiece. It was a thick ribbon tied around her forehead to hold a fan-like arch behind her head. She supposed it was supposed to make her look royal, but it was where her peacock metaphor had come from.

In short, she was everything a bride from the most ancient and noble house of Black should be, and she hated it.

She sighed. Her wedding was tomorrow, so this was her final fitting. The next time she wore this dress, she would be Mrs. Rabastan Lestrange.

A month ago, that had been the only thing that comforted her. The knowledge that she would soon be with Rabastan, her only ally in her darkened world. And she would finally be able to figure out what was happening to him, Rodolphus, and Bella. That had been a month ago, now she was not so sure even that would bring her comfort. Rabastan had only grown more distant this past month, and he was spending more and time with his brother. In fact, the two of them were practically inseparable, and they were always sharing dark looks.

Rabastan seemed to be becoming more and more like Rodolphus, and with everything she knew about Rodolphus, that frightened her. But things would change once they were married and he began spending more of his time with her. They had to.

"My, my you do look dashing."

Andromeda felt chills run down her back at the familiar drawling voice. She whirled around to find Rodolphus leaning against her bedpost. The look he gave her only made her heart beat faster.