Chapter 41

The next week went by in a haze. It seemed Andromeda could not walk more than two feet without catching a glimpse of either Ted or Rabastan. Both instances would cause her such an intense rush of excitement, guilt, and longing, she could barely breathe. She wasn't sure how much longer she could live like this before she broke.

At least it gave her something to look forward too during the Quidditch Match. Though to be honest, it was the only thing she was looking forward too during the Quidditch Match. She'd avoided the common room as much as possible since the incident with Bellatrix. She'd taken to eating in the Great Hall quickly during the non-busy times. She kept her head down in classes and in the hallways, but in the Quidditch Pitch it was impossible to avoid them. She hadn't even liked Quidditch to begin with, but with all those eyes staring at her like she was some strange, malformed creature, it had reached a new level of insufferability. She'd only come because Rabastan had told her too, as he thought it might be a way to get back in good grace of her classmates if she showed some team spirit.

But as she took her seat and people literally hissed, she wasn't sure it was working. She glanced behind her, where Rabastan was sitting. He gave her a warm smile, before quickly returning to the match. That was all he could afford, especially with Rodolphus sitting on his other side. It was enough to lift Andromeda's spirits and remind her that someone, at least, cared about her continued existence.

Magdalena, on her right side, also gave her a quick, soft smile, which Andromeda returned. That was the end of their interaction though. Magdalena was receiving the backlash of Andromeda's actions simply because she didn't shun her like the rest of them. Now she hesitated about acknowledging Andromeda in public. She understood, and she would never ask Magdalena for more than her kindness, but it did mean she was running out of people to talk too.

Sighing, she glanced across the field, where the yellow-clad Hufflepuff's were gathered. Trying to catch Ted's eyes with Rodolphus so close was risky, but she couldn't help it. Catching a glimpse of him was the other reason she had come. But she couldn't find his sun-gold hair amid the crowds. Frowning, she searched for the dark afro of his friend, Olivia. She found her easily enough, along with the other two Ted spent his time with, but Ted himself was absent.

Her chest sank, while a worried knot formed in her stomach. That wasn't like him, he loved Quidditch as much as she hated it, the irony of which he loved to point out. He wouldn't miss it for the world, unless something was wrong.

Without thinking, she glanced back at Rodolphus. Had he discovered the truth about Ted and her and decided to do something about it? The thought sent a tremor through her. But if that were the case, wouldn't he be trying to hurt her as well? Unless he was waiting for the right moment...

As if he could sense her gaze, Rodolphus turned to her. He grinned softly, but his eyes flashed dangerously. She quickly looked away, but she could feel his eyes piercing the back of her head.

Her worry over Ted wasn't gone, but there was nothing she could do about it now. She would have to wait until after the match.

Three hours later, the match still did not have a conclusion. Usually games between Gryiffindor and Ravenclaw did not last this long. If she didn't know better she would think her cousin was doing this on purpose, but he seemed just as frustrated as anyone else. She couldn't take it anymore. Ted had never reappeared, and worry was literally eating her up alive.

"Excuse me," she said, making her way to the castle. Others had given up on a conclusion as well, so surely it would not look out of place for her to leave.

She did her best not run as she hurried over to the castle. It occurred to her once she was inside the double doors she had no idea where Ted might be. He hadn't been by the lake. He could have been in the forbidden forest, or he could in the common room, or he could be wandering the halls of Hogwarts. There was very little chance she'd find him before the end of match, and then there would be to many witnesses.