Chapter 40

For what had to be the hundredth time, Andromeda found herself at the mercy of Peeves.

"Please," she begged. What had she come too? "Just this once, let me go."

But Peeves only cackled. "Wee little snake has somewhere to be, does she? Someone to meet in the late hours of the night. Peeves remembers all her sneakings with the badger boy. Peeves wonders what they're up to, in these dark hours. Can't be anything good. Maybe she wants to share?" He grinned maliciously.

Andromeda's mouth opened in shock, and then she spat. "I most certainly will not!" Her pleadings were forgotten, replaced by outrage, and disgust. "And if you value you incorporal hide you will never mention such things again, or I will make sure the Bloody Barron knows what you say about him behind his back. Now get out of here!"

You would think an already deathly pale ghost would not be able to go any paler, but Peeves managed it. Giving her a glare that told she would pay for her threat someday, when he was no longer deathly terrified of the Bloody Barron, Peeves sulked off.

Sighing, Andromeda made her way to the empty classroom he had specified. So much of this felt so familiar, right down to her partner in the rendezvous already being present when she arrived.

He whirled around when she arrived, his hopeful eyes practically shining as he took her in.

"I wasn't sure you were coming," Rabastan said.

"I was detained by Peeves," Andromeda said. He raised an eyebrow. Hopefully he believed her. She was telling the truth, but she was lying about so many other things she must have a shifty look about her.

She thought it was funny that Ted assumed Rabastan had such an advantage, when she could no longer spend time with him publicly either. It was too uncomfortable. She still received too much harassment for being a blood traitor, and him for being engaged to one. It was so much easier to meet in secret.

"It's so strange, having to see you like this," Rabastan whispered, while one hand gently pressed against her cheek.

It was not so strange for her, but she decided not to share that fact.

"Are you all right?" Rabastan asked, concerned.

"Yes, of course," she replied, too quickly.

"You mustn't let what they say get to you," he said, misinterpreting her distress.

"Yes, of course," she said again, and she wanted to curse herself for sounding so mechanical. But Rabastan didn't seem to notice. He was too excited to have her near.

"I know your heart is in the right place." He took her hand and placed it over his own heart. "Just like it is now."

She didn't even have time to think about the irony of that statement before he pressed his lips to hers.

The kiss was wonderful, and lingering. Their kisses were usually rushed moments of brief privacy between classes or in the common room, as they were almost always surrounded by people. But this time they could take their time. And it felt good. It felt really good. Too soon, he was pulling away.

"Thank you," he whispered against her cheek. "I needed that."

And now it was her turn to frown in concern. She pulled herself far enough away that she could still look into his eyes. She'd been so concerned about her own worries, she hadn't noticed his, but it was clear in the tightness of his mouth and weariness of his eyes that something was troubling him, and she could guess what.

"I'm sorry," she said, placing her hands on his chest. "I can only imagine what you are suffering through because of my actions."

He shook his head. "It's not that."