Chapter 52

He sat up so quickly, he almost gave himself whiplash. That horrible clenching in his chest had just started when he noticed a figure by the window— trying, and failing—to lace up what looked suspiciously like his mother's boots.

He just stared at her for a moment, like he was waiting for her to notice him. It was only when he heard a distinct curse word uttered under her breath that would have made his mother blush he said:

"You know it has a zipper in the back, right? You didn't actually have to undo the laces."

She let out a tiny yelp and jumped. It reminded him of the time they'd helped Professor Kettleburn all those months ago. The memory brought a smile to his face, even if it was fleeting.

The look of panic on her face that he'd woken up was almost enough to make him laugh too. Almost.

"Were you at least going to say goodbye?"

She didn't speak, but the look of guilt that flashed across her face was answer enough.

He'd been so patient yesterday. He'd blamed it on the shock of seeing her again, or the fact that she'd looked so freaked out. He'd taken in her with open, albeit very awkward, arms. And she was just going to use him and ditch him, again.

This time, the anger was just too much. "Go to hell, Andromeda."

He expected her to look shocked, or even hurt, but she didn't. If anything, she looked angrier than him.

"What did you expect me to do, Ted?" she yelled that part, and they both flinched. She then continued in a screech-whisper. "Wait for them to find me here?"

He paused. He hadn't expected that to be her first response. It made sense though, fear of her family had always been her primary motivator.

"You really think they'd come looking for you here?" He gestured around his tiny room, with peeling paint and sun-faded wooden floors. "Here?" The idea of any other member of the Black family in his home was inconceivable. He almost laughed.

But Andromeda was far from amused. "Yes, and you know better than anyone what they will do if they find me." He winced, her words bringing back unpleasant memories. She didn't hesitate though, she pressed her advantage. "Find you." Her voice grew dangerously quiet. "Find your mother."

He didn't want to think about that, but her couldn't stop the image of his mother squirming on the floor while someone like Bellatrix stood over her from racing through his mind. He shook his head, though it was pointless, nothing could erase an image like that.

"You don't really think they'd come?" his voice was pleading, but Andromeda's steely gaze crushed his hope even before her words did.

"Yes, I do. You don't know them like I do."

She looked away again, once again leaving him to wonder what had happened to her before she'd come knocking on his window. Now didn't seem like the time to press her though.

"So where will you go?"

She took a deep breath, and returned her gaze to him. "Once things settle down I'll contact my Uncle Alphard. He'll help me figure out what to do next."

She sounded hopeful, but Ted could see the doubt and fear in her eyes. Doubt that her uncle would help her? Doubt that he'd be able to? Doubt that she'd even make it to him?

But that wasn't his real question. "And until then?" he asked, trying to keep his voice steady despite the way his mind and heart were racing.

"I'll figure it out." She looked away again, confirming his suspicion, she had no idea what to do until then.