chapter 53

She couldn't believe she'd actually said it. She hadn't been planning on it. When he'd asked her why she came, she'd thought of a million other ways to answer. He made her feel safe. He was her only friend. She knew her family didn't know where he lived. But none of those had been the real reason.

Ted froze. He didn't turn to look at her. She could see the way his entire body was tensed up, like he was unsure of how to react to her words.

"What?" he said, breathlessly.

She knew he'd heard her the first time, he just didn't believe her, so she was going to have to say it again.

"I love you, Ted Tonks."

This time he turned to look at her, and her breath caught. That was how he used to look at her, before everything had spun out of control. His blue eyes were bright with wonder.

He looked away, like this was all becoming too much for him, and laughed breathlessly. "I thought I'd never get to hear you say it."

She frowned. "I never did?" She was certain she must have said it before. But now that she racked her brain, she could only recall him saying it to her, and not the other way around.
Ted ran his hands through his hair, the sign he was flustered. "I mean, I was pretty sure you...but no, you never said it."

He didn't say anything else, but the pain in his voice was clear.

She'd hurt Ted in a lot of ways, so technically this was just another instance in the long list, but for some reason, her guilt was more painful over this than the others.

"I'm sorry." Her voice was so constricted she could barely speak, and she could feel the tears brimming in the back of eyes. But she couldn't break down, she had to say this. "I'm so sorry, for everything."

Ted stared at the ground for a moment, not speaking. Still looking at the floor, he said, "We can't change the past, just the future."

And then he looked up, and this time, neither of them looked away. Almost subconsciously, she found her knees slipping away from her chest. Ted took a cautious step forward, but seemed unable or unwilling to move any closer. She slid off the bed and took a tentative step forward. Soon they were standing right in front of each other, but neither of them managed to make a move. They were both hesitant, like they were going to scare the other one off.

This scene was so familiar to them, and yet, it had been so long. Still, without thinking, their heads moved closer together. Until finally, his lips were on hers.

At first the kiss itself was slow and hesitant, but it slowly deepened. Her body slowly pressed itself to him. She could feel a moan building in the back of his mouth as his arm snaked around her waist.

Eventually his lips pulled away from her mouth and buried themselves in her neck, causing her to let out her own tiny moan. Ted's body seemed to react to the sound of her moan and he pulled her tighter. Soon his lips found their way to her ear and he whispered,

"Say it again."

She'd been so serious the last time she said it, but now she was smiling as she said, "I love you."

There was a low growl in his throat, almost like a purr. He kissed her ear and then raspily whispered, "I love you, Andromeda Black."

And just like that, the hunger they had both been hiding was unleashed. His arms snaked around her waist again, but this time it was to hoist her up. She managed to get her legs wrapped around him just long enough for them to move to the bed, and them she came crashing down, with him on top of her.