Chapter 31

This was it. This was the moment where she overcame her fear and guilt and closed the space that had existed between them for too long.

She moved slowly, her breath coming out in excited gasps and her heart pounding hopefully—though hesitantly— in her chest.

It had taken so long for the others to leave so they could be alone together, a lot longer than she'd anticipated. Not that she cared, she would've waited as long as it took.

She took a seat on the silky-green sofa, slowly, like she was trying not to spook a particularly jumpy deer.

"Narcissa? I—"

Narcissa leapt up, and—without so much as glancing at Andromeda—gathered her things and stormed out of the common room.

Andromeda just sat there, staring where her sister had been, trying so hard to ignore the hollow feeling eating up her insides.

She'd learned not to get her hopes up, but she'd been so sure that this time, Narcissa would be ready to forgive her.

Though forgiveness hadn't really been a theme in her life lately.

The hollow feeling wasn't going away, no matter how hard she stared at the empty spot next to her. It just kept growing, seeming to travel up her throat into her eyes. When the tears threatened to spill out she finally forced herself to look away. No Black could be caught crying in the corner of the common room. Fortunately, there weren't many people left in the common room, and none were close enough to see her tucked away in the alcove.

At least she'd thought so, until she heard someone cough.

Her body immediately stiffened, but she managed to stay in control as she ever so slowly shifted her gaze.

Standing in the dark, looking like he was trying to blend into the emerald drapes next to him, was none other than Lucius Malfoy.

Andromeda raised an eyebrow. She'd never known Lucius to not draw attention to himself in any situation he was ever in. He was a flouncing peacock. His behavior would explain why she hadn't noticed him until now though.

At the moment he hadn't noticed her gaze, as he was too focused on the staircase Narcissa had disappeared down. He'd been doing that a lot lately, staring after her sister when no one else was looking. It didn't take a genius to realize he was interested in her.

Andromeda sighed. She had nothing against Lucius. He was pompous bully like many of his Slytherin peers, but he didn't exude the same twisted sadism the others did. He seemed more—refined— than that. Regardless, another arrogant man who wanted nothing more to get into Narcissa's robes was the last thing Narcissa needed.

As if he could finally feel her gaze, Lucius turned his head in her direction. Their eyes met for only a second, but it was long enough for her to see the accusation in his cool grey eyes. He must've witnessed the exchange between the two younger Black sisters. Perhaps he'd also been waiting for the chance to speak with Narcissa privately, but Andromeda had beaten him too it. And now he probably blamed her for Narcissa's sudden departure.

At least that was actually her fault.

"Andromeda?" A voice cut into her musings. A low, purring voice.

Rabastan's habit of surprising her like that used to make her jump, but not anymore. She even had a small, half-hearted smile on her lips as she looked up to greet him. It was nice to speak with someone who didn't think she was the worst human being on the planet.