Chapter Ten

Ted placed his hand around her waist and took her hand, but he didn't pull her as close as he had before. Even with the added distance she could feel the tension in his hand on her back. It shifted restlessly, crawling forward and then pulling itself back. She glanced up at Ted, then down at her waist, then back up at Ted.

"You know your hand actually goes on the small of back?"

He pressed his lips together, "Of course, who doesn't know that?" But he turned crimson anyway as he started to move his hand up.

She reached back and caught his arm. Then she stepped closer, just close enough to brush her body up against his. He got the message, and his hand wrapped around her waist, securing her there. They were so close she could feel his breath. He was staring at her, and suddenly she couldn't take any more of those eyes. She turned her head. What was she doing? If anyone recognized her she was doomed. Most people didn't know she was engaged, but a few of them had caught her and Rabastan staring at each other. His fan club, at least, had picked up that something was going on between them. But then, if any Slytherin saw her, and realized who she was, she was dead.

She felt Ted's hand loosen, and she slipped backward. She looked up at him, now that there was room to breathe between them. Something in her heart sank a little though, but he grinned at her crookedly, and she couldn't help but grin back, and this time she didn't break eye contact. They continued to dance, the music a soft, haunting melody, but Meda barely noticed. She forgot about the people, about Rabastan, about everything. There was just his body next to hers, his hand in her hand, his blue eyes gazing into her brown ones. The two of them outside of time as they danced.

The people around her stopped moving. Somehow, she hadn't noticed the song ended. She looked up at his face, and then hastily backed away with an almost horrified look. He released her, reluctantly. His mouth parted as though he wished to say something, but couldn't remember how to talk.

"I have to go." She gave him a brief curtsy, not registering how out of place that was for a school dance.

"What am I to you Andromeda?" His question caught her off guard, and she found herself stopping and turning again. He stared at her, his eyes no longer hopeful and mystified.

"I don't—"

"Or was I? I guess I should say," he stepped forward. "Was this always just a game to you? Was I just some toy for you to play with, and then throw out when you were done with me?"

His words stung, but her own anger quickly overcame her hurt and she spat, "you know it's not that simple."

He threw his arms in the air. "Nothing's simple, Andromeda! And I get it, I get that you couldn't parade what we're doing, but this meant something to me." He stopped, looking her over again. "I guess I thought it meant something to you to."

She closed her eyes, she couldn't give him the answer he wanted, she couldn't. "Ted, I—

But he wasn't listening as he backed away.

Her chest rose and fell, slowly, as she stared after him. But wasn't this what she wanted? To keep things over?

"Andromeda?" Another voice said behind her. A softer voice, more like a purr. She didn't need to see him to know for sure it was Rabastan this time.

"They weren't exaggerating, you look fantastic." His eyes lingered on her dress before returning to her face. "Where have you been? I've been looking everywhere for you." He took her hand, and she jumped, startled.

"Andromeda?" Her name sound so different when he said it, less, mysterious, "Are you all right?"

"I—" she couldn't help it, she looked over her shoulder where Ted had disappeared before returning her attention to Rabastan.