Chapter 9

"Alright, Andromeda, open your eyes."

She did, as slowly as she dared.

She had to admit, her sister had done wonders. Half her hair was pulled up in an elegant bun, while the rest touched down just past her shoulders, a gentle curl fanning it out behind her.

She hadn't thought make-up was necessary, since the mask covered half her face anyway, but Narcissa felt differently. Her lips were now a deep red color, like wine, while her eyes were so decorated she couldn't tell where they ended, and her blue and gold mask began. Extending out past the mask were swirling, sparkling lines that made it seem as though her entire face were one intricate, glowing design.

She had thought her dress, at least, would come up short. She'd been shocked at the dress her mother had sent her, a simple blue gown that seemed more like sleepwear than formal wear as it was uncharacteristically plain. And it was simple, made of a dark blue, satin-like material. It was extremely tight in places, accenting her tiny waist and flaring hips. Her full bosom peaked out over the uncomfortably low neckline. And there was some sort of charm on the fabric; whenever she moved it shimmered like a sapphire catching the sunlight. It was sleeveless, but gold chains and jewelry curled around her neck and arms, giving her pale, exposed skin a gentle glow.

She was beautiful. She was beyond beautiful; she was ravishing.

And it scared her. It was like an alien was staring at her from that mirror, a stranger inside her own body.

"Well, what do you think?"

"It's, my, Narcissa it's incredible."

"I know," she squealed, clapping her hands together, and then she added in a husky undertone, "Rabastan won't be able to take his eyes off you."

The thought made Andromeda's blood boil, or freeze, or both, so she tried not to think about it.

"Cissa?" A dark-haired girl, one of Narcissa's roommates, poked her head into their room. Gabriella Parkinson was her name. "Are you ready yet? We need to go."

Narcissa flicked her wrist at the girl. "Almost," she said, crossing over to her dresser and grabbing a jade pendant, which she carefully clasped around her neck. "There."

However good Andromeda looked, she was nothing compared to her sister. Narcissa was positively glowing in a shade of dark green that set off her eyes. Her pale skin contrasted sharply with her dark eyes and matching jewelry; she looked like a green avenging angel.

"Meda, aren't you coming?" Narcissa pulled Meda out of her reverie.

She shook her head. "You go on. I'll be along in a minute."

Narcissa pinched her face together, like she was trying to puzzle through something, but failed. "All right." She gave Meda a strange look as she closed the door behind her.

Andromeda placed her hands on the vanity, breathing heavily, but it did little to slow her heartbeat.

She hadn't seen either Ted or Rabastan since her fight with Ted. She still wasn't sure what was happening between her and Ted, but whatever it was, it was over. Somehow, that made the idea of seeing Rabastan all the worse. When she was with Ted, she felt in control, like there was some part of her life that belonged to her. Rabastan felt like a cage. A cage with soft, red lips that made her feel dizzy and warm all at once.

She didn't want to go to the dance. She wanted to curl up in a good book and never think about boys again, at least not real ones. But life wasn't about what you wanted; it was about what was expected of you. She turned to the door. If only she could leave her confusion behind her.