Chapter 28

Andromeda didn't need to listen in to know what they'd all gathered here for. The wealthy pureblood families only ever had one topic of discussion.
As she scanned the room again she realized one of their number was missing, Rabastan was nowhere in sight.

“Nice of you to join us, now that we’re ending.” Bella shot a glare at Rodolphus and Lucius as they moved to join the throng.

“We’ll make up for it,” Rodolphus said, “by doubling our strikes against the Mudbloods.” He smirked. “Does that sound fair?”

A few people laughed, but Bella’s gaze only grew steelier. Whatever was going on here Bella was clearly at the head of it, and she wouldn’t want anyone challenging her, especially Rodolphus.

Eventually she turned her gaze back to the crowd. “Remember, my brothers and sisters, that is your calling. Hogwarts, the school that our great founder, Salazar Slytherin, intended to be a place of magical learning, has become overrun with Mudbloods, Halfbloods, blood traitors and other kinds of scum.” She lifted her chin even higher and she stared around at the throngs of people below her. “Now, in our darkest hour, those in power who should be protecting our sacred bloodlines have turned their back on us. We, and we alone, can keep our school from being overcome with Filth. It is our sacred duty, our greatest mandate.” Her voice almost seemed to tremble with the weight of her conviction.

Still, there was a soft smile on her lips as she said, “But be careful, the Mudblood’s greatest hero is always watching.”

A few people laughed nervously, but Andromeda couldn’t tell if she was kidding or not. She must be referring to Dumbledore. He was after, the most powerful wizard in existence, and until they all graduated he controlled their magical future.
Bella lifted her hand and said, “Tourjours Pure.”

The crowd mimicked her gesture as a fervent chorus rang out, “Tourjous Pur.”

Meda sucked in a breath. Tourjous Pur was her family’s motto. It meant, “Always pure.” She was surprised Bella was using it so liberally. She used throw a tizzy about the way other magical families, “pretended” to be Black.

The people in the room were beginning to leave. Their family motto must signal the end of the meeting, but since they all seemed to know that, they must have done this before.

“Rabastan declined to join us again?” Dolohov said to Rodolphus as the others slipped out around them.

“My brother’s a little too—carefree—for this kind of thing.”

Dolohov’s frowned. “You’re saying he’s not committed to the cause?”

“I’m saying he doesn’t like to get his hands dirty.” Rodolphus’ voice was polite enough, but there a dark glint in his eye, like he was warning Dolohov.

Dolohov got the message and left without another word about Rabastan.

Andromeda’s hands were beginning to shake, and she forced herself to take a deep breath. It wasn't like any of this was new information to her. In fact, it wasn’t anything that hadn’t already been said in their common rooms at night. There was something different about this time though. Something dark and hungry in their eyes. And why were they so determined to meet in secret?

“Rodolphus, I need to speak with you for a moment.”

Andromeda looked up sharply. The room had vacated, leaving only Bella and Rodolphus.

“Don’t tell me,” Rodolphus scoffed. “You have instructions?”

Bellatrix gave him a scathing look. “No, this concerns another matter entirely.” Bella stalked forward, until she was only a few feet away from him. “My sister, Narcissa.”