2-My New Home

A few days later we were in a car driving to our new home. James had left early because he said he had business in Jersey that he had to take care of. So, it had just been my mom and I on the road. She drove in her old Volvo. It made noises along the highway. The engine check sign was on, but i knew my mom was one to push things to the limit, like she pushed me. She even pushed the speed limit to the limit.

"Slow down mom geez." I said noticing the sign said sixty five, but she was going eighty. "You'll see your boyfriend soon enough." I relaxed my head against the window. She slowed down a bit so that we were only ten over the speed limit.

"I just rather get there by Sunday so you can take a tour of the new school." She had her lips pursed as she stared at the road. Her blue eyes were so beautiful. They always captured your attention. I wished I had gotten her genetics, but instead I was left with the image of my father.

I didn’t hate my father. I never met him. He was gone way before I was born. My mom told me that he got arrested and was sentenced to life in jail, but she never told me anymore than that. I just one day hoped he would come home and be my father, but instead my mom moved on to someone else.

"Great." I said. I forgot all about having to go to school and meeting new people. I hated meeting new people. I hated socializing, unless we were friends. I know, I know. You have to socialize to become friends, but couldn’t you just skip that part?

"James lives in a great neighborhood you can run around if you want." She said.

"What was wrong with our old one?" I asked. I knew I shouldn’t have been talking to my mother like that.

She gripped tighter on the steering wheel. "Don't give me attitude Benny." She said to me.

I huffed. "Sorry mama." I said. "I just, I don’t get it. Wasn’t our life perfect before?"

"It was." She said. "But you can't control who you fall in love with." A smile grew on her face as she thought of him again.

"Uh!" I said "Stop smiling like that. It's creepy."

"You'll understand one day." She said.

I never imagined falling in love, because i never met someone I liked. I dated of course, but that was because the relationships were literally forced onto me. Jose had a wide part in making sure i had a girlfriend for the whole freshman and sophomore year.

"Are we almost there?" I asked.

"Almost."

My mom's car slowed down and she turned into a big silver gate. The gates opened moments later and behind them was a long driveway of small rocks. It lead to a round about that was filled with expensive cars parked around it. There was a fountain in the center spewing clear water.

Beyond the roundabout was a house, no, that was an understatement. It was a brick mansion with columns lining the porch and east and west wings. There were windows wrapped all around the mansion and green ivy growing along the walls.

My mom parked on the roundabout. "What are we doing here?" I asked.

She got out of the car and smiled. Grabbing her keys she walked up the platform that was the porch. There was a big wooden door with carvings on it and a small glass window at the top. The door opened almost immediately.

James stood behind the door. He wore a white shirt and gray sweats. Never had I seen him so causal. He smiled and hugged my mom like he hadn’t seen her in years.

I pushed them apart with all my strength so I could walk into the house. There was a huge chandelier on the ceiling, and marble floors. The walls were covered with paintings and the corners were filled with statues. A huge staircase lead upstairs. I noticed boxes of stuff in the huge entry way.