13-Father Dearest

Rori POV

A week passed and I still hadn't confronted Max upfront. Ben begged me not to, and when he begged, I caved. He always had a way of making me do that. But then I thought, what if I payed Max a visit, and Ben never found out? It wasn’t disobeying him if he never knew.

So here I was.

My eyes flickered over the three digit number on the door before me. 213. The last time I had been here was two years ago when my dad had to visit Max for legal reasons. You see, Max Payton wasn’t just any other guy. Max Payton was my half brother from my father's side, and that's why I was even more pissed that he touched Ben.

Max and I had a bad history that traced all the way back to grade school. I saw him only once every two years at most, and when I did, boy did I want to kill him.

My fist knocked violently on the door. Moments later the door opened and the familiar face popped up behind the frame. I stared into his blue eyes. Max's distinctive eyes came from my dad. I hated them as much on him as on my father.

A smile curved onto the man's lips. "Rori," He started. "how nice it is for my half brother to finally come and see me again." He crossed his arms. 

I rolled my eyes. "This isn’t a family visit." I said. "It's a warning. Stay the hell away from Ben."

He frowned. "He told you huh?"

"Of course he would tell me. He's my boyf-" I stopped myself. He wasn’t my boyfriend. As much as I would love that, I'm not sure Ben would feel the same way. "He isn't into you Max." I said. "So back off, or else."

Max stepped closer to me. He was taller and older, but he didn’t intimidate me. I had yet to be scared by anyone, except Ben. He scared me into doing things I normally wouldn’t for any person.

"And would Ben be so into you if he found out about Cameron?"

Cameron?

"Who the hell is-"

"Don't play dumb." He said. "We both know what you did last night. I was there, and I saw everything."

"So, I would be more careful if I were you." Max warned. "Who knows when that secret might slip through my lips." He turned around and slammed the door shut.

Guilt and worry clouded my mind. I felt like strangling him to even mention Cameron's name and using her against me. She wasn’t anything important. I was drunk, so was it really my fault that things happened? Right?

I clenched my hands into fists, leaned against the wall next to his door and slid down until I was sitting. My eyes shut as images of last night flew into my mind. I felt like banging my head through a window. How could Max have known? More importantly, would he tell Ben? He couldn’t do that. Ben can't know about this ever.

My phone lit up and I answered it, putting it to my ear. "Hello?"

"You're not in school." Ben scolded through the phone. His voice made me smile, as it always did. He was just that amazing. How could I have hurt him so bad?

"I had family matters to deal with." I said. "But I miss you."

"That doesn’t make up for you leaving me to fend for myself in this cafeteria." He said. "But maybe a cappuccino would."

I laughed lightly. "See you in ten Kingo."

We went to a small Italian coffee shop in the city. I ordered hot chocolate, while Ben ordered a cappuccino. He sipped at his wide cup as we spoke. He did most of the talking since I couldn’t seem to shake the thought of Max out of my mind. All I did was worry. What if I lost him because of the secret? Ben was understanding. Would he end things if I told him? Maybe it would be better if he heard things from me rather than Max.