18-Can You Hear Me?

My head was rested against the hospital bed. My back was relaxed against the chair. I was still in the silent hospital room Rori slept in. The only sound I heard was his steady heartbeat. It made me doze off a couple times. Starring at white walls with such a calm sound didn't keep me very awake.

There was a knock on the door, startling me. I sat up and turned around to see my mom poking her head into the room. She had a sympathetic smile on her face. "It's time to go hun." She spoke through her cherry lips.

I gave her a small nod, knowing I had no other choice. "I'll be there in a second." She nodded and closed the door behind her.

I looked back over to Rori. He still looked as asleep as ever. He had gotten so pale, which was weird since he had been so tan. His hair was flatter, which led to my suspicion of his use of product. The cuts across his nose and lip have healed and left lines that would soon go away. Though his ribs were still bruised and would take a while to get better.

I couldn't help but notice how normal he looked. He was gorgeous when he wasn't so macho, but I guess that was the part that made me fall for him in the first place. It was strange that I even fell for a guy like that. And it's stranger that I'm admitting that I even did.

I drew my hand closer to his. My fingers locked with his fingers. They were cold and lifeless. The feeling of death made me frown. I took a second to remember the touch, then turned around and loosened my fingers to let go.

There was a grip on my hand as I tried to pull away. Those cold lifeless fingers were tightening around mine. I turned around, looking back at the pale boy who was very much asleep. I tried moving my hand away but his grip was strong on me. It was as if he was beckoning me to stay.

Wait a minute...That meant he had to be awake, right?

My eyes widened and my mouth gaped. My heart sped up, thumping loudly in my chest. I went closer to him.

"Rori?" I said. The shrill cry of my voice made me feel so anxious. Maybe I was imagining it, and this was a dream. I would wake up and he'd be still in a coma. But it was so real. It had to be real.

The lids of his eyes twitched. His lashes batted and he squinted as the light poured into his eyes. My fingers were still locked with his, and my face was close to his.

I was too astonished to smile. "Rori, c-can you hear me?" I said. The cry in my scratchy voice gave away my sense of longing and worry.

His head turned to me, but his eyes were still squinted. "B-Ben?" He spoke slowly. He looked and sounded confused. His eyes were red and droopy.

I smiled and nodded. "Yeah, it's me." I said.

He looked around, worried. "W-Where am I?" He then lost all focus in the question. His fingers reached up to my face and caressed my cheek. His light touch made me shiver. Warmness filled through my body as the tears began to prickle at my eyes. "I want t-to k-kiss you." He said with a small smile.

I smiled and laughed. I was happy to see he was still himself. "You're such a romantic."

He gave me a smirk and wiped under my eyes. I hadn't even realized I was crying. Who knew I could get so emotional? I leaned closer to Rori, wanting his warmth to radiate off of me.

"I want you to kiss me too." I said.

He smiled. "I know you do."