4-An Uncalled Party

I came home from school with a sore back. My backpack was a lot heavier than I thought. I threw it off when I got to my room and walked over to my TV. I thought I'd catch up on some shows while I had a flat screen to watch them. Before I turned on the TV I heard the sounds of my mom and James talking in the hallway.

"He can't know about this." She spoke to James.

"But aren't you excited?"

"Not exactly." She said. "If Ben found out he'd throw another one of his tantrums." Tantrums? "Please, just keep it silent, until I think it's the right time."

James sighed. "Okay."

There was something they were hiding from me now? First it was their relationship, and now something else. When was the deceit going to stop?!

I turned on the TV and laid back in the leather couch across from it. I stared up at the screen, but the conversation I heard was on my mind. I was going to find out, whether or not my mom wanted me to.

I sat for hours watching TV. I had changed into my sweats and a random shirt. Something was thrown at my window. I froze and looked over to it.

There was another bang and the window shook. I got up and walked over to it, opening it all the way. A rock hit me square in the forehead. "Ow!" I said.

I looked down. Rori stood below me on the ground. "Sorry!" He said quietly. "I'm sneaking you out."

I rolled my eyes. "How did you find out where I lived?"

He shrugged. "I got connections."

I closed my window and turned around and walked out of my room. I went down the stairs and to the front door. I opened the door and walked outside into the bitter cold night.

Rori walked over to me. "I thought you had an overprotective father?" He asked. "Yet you can go through the front door without being yelled at at ten o clock at night."

"He's sleeping." I said.

"Who's sleeping?" I turned around and saw James walking over to me. He wore his pajamas. He looked drowsy. He was sleeping, and now he was awake.

Rori held out his hand to James. "I'm Rorusen, you must be Mr. Kingo." He said.

James shook his hand. "Mr. Morlen actually." He said.

"Step dad?" He asked.

"Sort of."

I looked up at James. "Rori wanted me to go to the theater with him, but you said no right?" I tried to give him a hint at what I was saying.

"Well, if you want to go you can." He said. "How much money do you need?" He pulled out his wallet and went through wads of fifties and then i saw hundreds.

Rori grinned. "Fifty will be fine right Kingo?"

I gave him a glare. "I'm not ready, and I'd rather not go all the way upstairs to get ready."

He grabbed my hand. "That's fine. Manning's wearing pajamas too."

James handed me the fifty and I took it. Rori then pulled me past the roundabout, down the driveway, and the gate opened. I walked with Rori through it and he guided me over to the Mini Cooper that parked near the gate.

"I didn't know you were James Morlen's step son." He said. He opened the passenger side door where it was empty. He held out his hand. "Money." He said.

"It's mine." I said.

"You owe me for the Corey incident. I could have been fifty dollars richer if it weren't for you."