10-You're All I Can Think About

The car swerved along the race track, creating tire marks and turning around the sharp corner. My body moved to the left as I willed the car to turn. It was like I was there, but I wasn't. James's car was coming up hot behind me. His "Big Red", as he called it, was merging into mine.

"You're playing unfair you old hag." I spat, pushing into him, causing him to swerve off the track.

"Aren't you a sore loser." James countered. "What's wrong, can't take the heat?"

The finish line was came into view, and my competitive side kicked in. "Oh it's on." I said, kicking into the highest gear. I focused hard on the upcoming checkered black and white flag that waited for me.

I was almost there. Then, James "accidentally" pushed me off of the couch and caused me to fall off as I watched his car go over the line, declaring him victor.

"Oh that is so not fair!" I said.

He smiled at me. "It's how to play the game."

I threw my controller at him, and it hit him lightly on the arm. "Remind me why I agreed to this again?"

"I asked you to clean your room, and you said you'd only do it if I beat you at Mario Kart."

Oh right, I did say that. "Well that doesn't count because you cheated." I said. "And isn't there maids roaming around this castle who can clean for me?" I said while getting up.

He laughed at my comment. It was an honest question. "You're a big boy. I assumed you could pick up your own stuff."

I stretched and yawned moving to the door that lead to the bathroom. "I need to get ready. I'm hanging out with Rori today. So could you leave?"

He stood up, but he didn't leave my room. "You're hanging out with Rori, again?" He asked. "Are you two...dating?"

I looked over to James with raised eyebrows. Of all the things he could come up with he chose that. "No, we're friends." I told him.

"I don't know if you should be hanging around a guy like that."

"Well it really isn't your decision who I hang out with." I said.

"Rori's in a different place Ben."

"Benedict." I corrected. I didn't like the way James spoke about Rori. Sure Rori wasn't all that great of a human, but he was the only friend I had here, and the nicest guy I knew. Even if he had rough sides, his good sides made up for that.

"Just be careful." James said. I turned away, not willing to say or listen to more.

I walked into my bathroom and turned on the hot water. I slowly stripped my clothes off, and got inside. The feeling of hot steamy water trickling down my skin soothed me. Suddenly I was more relaxed and less frustrated.

After taking a long warm shower, I turned the water off and wrapped a cozy soft towel around my lower half. While exiting the bathroom, I heard the voices of James and my mom speaking outside. They spoke in hushed tones, like they didn't want me to hear. They must still think I'm taking a shower.

I pressed my ear against the door making sure this time when I eavesdropped, I heard every word.

"We need to tell him." James said. "Even if he hates me, I want us to be officially an us."

"I know." My mom said. "But let's hold off breaking the news of the engagement until after he comes home. We don't want to ruin his time out with his friend."

Engagement? They were going to get married! The image of my mom walking down the isle to marry him popped into my head, and once again anger bubbled inside of me.