17-Broken

Ben POV

The beeping went on and on. It was a constant reminder of where I was. I stood up from the wooden chair next to the hospital bed and walked over to the window. I took a look outside to distract me from the reason why I was here.

For the past three weeks I've spent most of my time waiting for the person I hate the most to open his eyes. I wasn't confused as to why I wanted to be by his side so badly, but why I let myself fall away from Rori in the first place. It's sad to say that even if he hurt me so bad, I still wanted to be with him every waking second. I guess, love makes you stupid, if that's what I even feel.

Cameron had made quite a few cameos in the room for Rori. She had been so worried about him. She brought flowers, cards, and stayed for at least two hours before leaving. She and I had a chat, a friendly one, nothing on why I hated her so much. Though she didn't spare me the talk of how they got high and slept together. Apparently that was the only sentimental memory she had of him.

I looked down out of the window. from below, I could see James walking into the hospital. My mom probably told him to pick me up. She was more understanding about curfew because she knew I wanted to see Rori, but she also didn't want to be a pushover.

The door to the room opened and I turned round expecting James. Instead, a tall man stood in the doorway with blue eyes and dark hair. His aura set me off. The way he peered at me sent goosebumps crawling up my skin. The man noticed me and raised his eyebrow, as if confused.

"Can I help you?" I asked.

He looked over to the bed where Rori was. His eyes lingered for a second, then went back to me. A smile bloomed on his face as he walked over to me and extended his hand. "I'm Derek Valentine, Rori's father."

Once I realized who he was I shook his hand. "I'm Benedict." I said. "Rori's..." I didn't exactly know what to say.

"I know about you." He said. "Rori loves to speak about you, and might I say it is a pleasure to meet the boy who puts such a smile on my son's face."

I smiled. "Thank you." Was this the jerk of a father who was homophobic?

"If it's not too much to ask, I'd like to have a bit of time alone with my son."

I nodded, even though I hated the idea of being drawn away from Rori. It was only a few minutes anyway. I walked out of the room and into the hallway. The door shut behind me.

I saw that James stood in the hallway leaning against the wall staring down at his watch. He wore a suit, like always. His eyes looked up to me and he threw me a kind smile. "Are you all ready to go?"

I leaned against the wall, slid my back down against the wall until I was in a sitting position and crossed my arms. "I'll be home by ten, like always." I said. "And I'll find my own ride."

James stood up straight. "Actually, your mom and I have swayed the rules of curfew since we've discovered you've been skipping the last two weeks of classes to come here. "

I looked down and avoided his gaze, resting my forehead on my knees. I didn't want to be scolded right now. My feelings were all over the place and I didn't want to cause a scene.

"You can't just stay here all day, waiting for him to wake up." James said. "You need to take care of your own life."

"James, not now." I said. My throat sounded scratchy. I could feel the tears threatening to pour down my face. They burned at the back of my eyes."I-I..." What could I say? He was right. I knew I couldn't just waste away waiting for Rori to wake up, but I was going to do it anyway, because he meant that much to me. "I just can't-" I stuttered with my words feeling my mouth dry up.