11-Give Me A Chance

I awoke in the morning to the annoying sound of my phone buzzing beside me. I groaned and my eyes fluttered open. I was getting an incoming call. I sat up and flipped my phone open to see who was calling me at such an early time. My eyes squinted at the small font and I made out that the name said Rori.

That night's events flashed into my head. I groaned even louder remembering the kiss and fell back on my bed. The memory of his soft lips still made me shiver. The kiss had been so familiar, which was weird. It was like deja vu. But he and I never kissed before.

Saturday, Rori had spent half the day calling me. It was annoying, and here it starts again. Something pulled me to wanting to answer the calls, but I ignored it. Not once had I answered, and I was going for a streak.

My mom knocked on the door. "Honey, come down for breakfast." She said. "I made your favorite; strawberry waffles."

She was trying to sway me, but even the mention of my favorite breakfast couldn’t get me out of my bedridden state. "I'm not hungry." I told her. My growling stomach told me otherwise.

"You haven’t eaten for two days." She said. She was wrong. I had a bagel yesterday. Even if that was little it was something.

I didn’t respond to what she said, so she just let me off the leash. "There will be cereal downstairs if you change your mind later."

I then once again threw the blankets over me and went to sleep.

Monday, the most dreaded day came. And no I wasn’t calling it that because of the AP test I had that I didn’t study for, but because I had to face Rori. Every time his name popped into my thoughts I blushed. I didnt want to spend the whole day with tinted pink cheeks, but I also couldnt stop thinking about him.

I breathed in deeply as my mom drove me to school on the warm morning. When she pulled up to the building I took a moment out of my time to sit in my seat and stare out of the window, just thinking while tapping my lips with my finger.

"Benny?" My mom said, drawing me out of my thoughts.

I turned my head and looked over to her. There was a frown on her delicate face. I hated making her worry. I gave her a reassuring smile. "Sorry." I said. I opened the door and got out. "Bye mom." I turned around and started walking towards the school.

Inside there were hoards of students as usual standing by their lockers gossiping and what not. Though something was differnet. Mostly every girl seemed to be wearing a golden ring on their finger. It was weird, like they were all in some cult.

A hand wrapped around my waist and my heart leaped. I was expecting to see Rori, but as I turned I saw it was just Aury. She smiled up at me. "Ben!" She said. "Today is that day!"

"What day?" I asked pulling away from her grasp on me.

"The day where all the guys ask the girls to Le Bal Masque!" She held her hand over her chest. "I'm sure my crush is bound to ask me today. And when he does he'll slide that golden ring onto my finger symbolizing I'm taken."

So that's why most of the girls had rings. "That's great." I said, but you could tell I was disinterested.

"Aury, stop bothering Ben with your boring ass life." Manning said coming up behind me. His voice made me shudder. He was so creepy, like a ghost. "He doesn’t give a fuck. Nobody gives a fuck."

"Shut up Captain!" She said. "You're just jealous because my crush is going to take me to that ball."

"Rori isn’t into you, get the fuck over it." Manning said.