ASIAN VIOLENCE III

Asian Hate is big right now and my pages have been filled so making a new one!!! I hope you guys enjoy reading from this.

Let me know what other news i should post.

Hate crimes against Asian Americans: What the numbers show, and don't

Data show an increase in anti-Asian hate during the pandemic. But the numbers are likely a small fraction of actual incidents.

As pandemic shutdowns and fear flooded the United States last spring, it brought with it a wave of hate crimes and incidents targeting Asian Americans.

Some were prosecuted as hate crimes, such as a woman in the Bronx who was hit on the head with an umbrella as her assailants used anti-Asian comments. Other incidents may not have resulted in official charges, such as the hurling of racist slurs.

Researchers say they have seen a trend of increasing hate crimes and hateful incidents targeting Asian Americans during the pandemic, documented by community members and journalists over the past year. A mass shooting at Atlanta-area spas on March 16 resulted in eight deaths, the majority of the victims Asian American women. The Associated Press reported that South Korea's Foreign Ministry said that four of the victims who died were women of Korean descent.

Law enforcement has not yet concluded if the gunman will be charged with a hate crime, although legal experts have said that's possible. The 21-year-old white man faces eight counts of murder.

Following the Georgia attacks, many politicians and journalists cited two key organizations that had compiled data documenting either hate crimes reported to police or a more broad category of hateful incidents.

The Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University released findings in early March that showed hate crimes against Asian Americans spiked 149% between 2019 and 2020, even though hate crimes overall declined.

A separate group, Stop AAPI Hate, cataloged nearly 3,800 hateful incidents — which is not limited to crimes — during the first year of the pandemic. (AAPI stands for Asian American and Pacific Islander.) Most of those hateful incidents targeted women.

These numbers are the best available data as of now to show the trend of an increase in anti-Asian hate during the pandemic. But even these numbers are likely a small fraction of actual incidents, including crimes.

"There are barriers to reporting," said Jeannine Bell, an Indiana University law professor and expert on hate crimes. "Individual victims have to feel as if they are comfortable enough to report, and most likely they don't."

Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism data on hate crimes

The Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism is a longtime respected source of expertise on hate crimes. Researchers used public records from local and state police agencies to gather hate crime reports in 2019 and compare them with 2020.

They focused on anti-Asian hate crimes reported to police in 16 of the largest U.S. cities.

The center found anti‐Asian hate crimes rose from 49 crimes in 2019 to 122 in 2020, an increase of 149%. Researchers faulted negative stereotyping of Asians during the early rise of COVID-19 cases last spring for the first spike.

The spike in hate crimes against Asian Americans was even more glaring because overall hate crimes dropped 7% overall, amid pandemic-driven closures of businesses, schools and public gatherings.

The report doesn't mention former President Donald Trump. However, it does show that Google searches found spikes for racist terms such as "China virus" and "Kung Flu" spiked throughout 2020. Trump used those terms multiple times that year — including "China virus" as recently as a March 16 interview on Fox News, although there was nothing in his interview to indicate that he knew about the shootings that took place that evening in Georgia.