CHILE + COLUMBIA

( this book is fairly messy but i hope it is helpful!)

RIOT CONTROL

|||||||||||| loading 22%

What is happening in Chile?

CHILE'S centre-right President Sebastian Pinera cancelled two international summits in the wake of widespread rioting and unrest.

At least 18 people have been killed during the riots over the past weeks.

What is happening in Chile right now and why are there riots?

Riots have broken out in Chile right across the country with at least 18 people dead and 7,000 arrested.

The trouble, sparked by a rise in subway prices, has escalated with the country's President declaring a state of emergency in the capital and five other cities.

Several days of rioting, arson and vandalism have taken place in protest to the price change.

President Sebastian Pinera had declared a state of emergency in the capital

Pinera scrapped the fare increase on Saturday in a bid to stop to the chaos, two weeks after it launched.

He also revealed plans to "reduce excessive inequalities, inequities abuses, that persist in our society."

He also sacked his cabinet.

Authorities estimated that millions of dollars worth of damage had been caused to businesses, the subway and buildings.

Chilean businesses lost more than £1bn and the Santiago's metro suffered nearly £308m in damages.

The UN high commission on human rights is sending a team to Chile to investigate allegations of human rights abuses against demonstrators, amid a swell of furious street protests over inequality, falling wages and the rising cost of education and healthcare.

"Having monitored the crisis from the beginning I have decided to send a verification mission to examine reports of human rights violations in Chile," the high commissioner and former Chilean president Michelle Bachelet announced on Twitter.

Pinera withdrew from hosting the APEC summit in November and a climate summit to focus on the unrest in the country.

Pinera said in a televised address: "This has been a very difficult decision that causes us great pain.

"A president always has to put the needs of his countrymen first."

The US and China had been expected to sign a trade deal to the ongoing trade way that has hurt the global economy.

The climate summit, the the high-profile COP25, was meant to be international gathering on climate change in December.