HURRICANE IDA

Hurricane Ida is expected to 'rapidly intensify' today

Hurricane Ida is expected to 'rapidly intensify' today. Here's what that term means
By Brandon Miller, Judson Jones and Haley Brink, CNN

Updated 8:14 PM ET, Sat August 28, 2021

Are you affected by Hurricane Ida? Text, iMessage or WhatsApp your videos, photos and stories to CNN at +1 347-322-0415
(CNN)It usually takes several days or even a week for a tropical storm to grow into a powerful hurricane. But if conditions are just right, a major hurricane can develop in just hours.

The process, known as "rapid intensification," is expected to be seen with Hurricane Ida on Saturday afternoon into the evening, meteorologists say. As of 8 p.m. ET Saturday, Ida was a Category 2 storm with maximum sustained winds of 105 mph and stronger gusts, according to the National Hurricane Center. But the storm's wind field is expanding over the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico and it's expected to begin rapidly intensifying soon, according to the NHC.

"Rapid strengthening is forecast during the next 24 to 36 hours and Ida is expected to be an extremely dangerous major hurricane when it approaches the northern Gulf Coast on Sunday," the NHC said.
The updated forecast track from the hurricane center has the storm still strengthening into a Category 4 hurricane by Sunday, then making landfall on the central Louisiana coast with sustained winds of at least 130 mph.
Ida already rapidly intensified Friday prior to landfall and as it made landfall on Cuba -- gaining 40 mph in wind speed, from 40 mph Thursday night to 80 mph Friday night.
Sign up for email updates for significant storms
A storm like this undergoes rapid intensification when its maximum sustained winds increase at least 35 mph in 24 hours or less, according to the National Hurricane Center. That's a jump of about two categories on the Saffir-Simpson scale, which grades hurricane strength from 1 to 5.

'Time is not on our side.' Gulf Coast braces for Sunday arrival of Hurricane Ida, potentially a Category 4 storm
By Aya Elamroussi, Haley Brink, Ray Sanchez and Alaa Elassar, CNN

Updated 11:00 pm, Sat August 28, 2021
CATEGORY
2
SUSTAINED WINDS
105 mph
MOVING
NW at 16 mph
WIND GUSTS
125 mph
PRESSURE
964 mb
For the latest forecast and weather news from CNN's team of meteorologists, click here.

Sign up for email updates for significant storms, click here.

Updated 11:55 PM ET, Sat August 28, 2021
Hurricane Ida makes its way toward the Gulf Coast on August 28.

Are you affected by Hurricane Ida? Text, iMessage or WhatsApp your videos, photos and stories to CNN at +1 347-322-0415

(CNN)Hurricane Ida is expected to rapidly strengthen before pummeling Louisiana on Sunday, forcing evacuations in New Orleans and the surrounding coastal region on the eve of the 16th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina.

On Saturday, Ida was moving away from Cuba and into the Gulf of Mexico, where it is expected to intensify over the next 24 to 36 hours prior to landfall across the Louisiana coast on Sunday afternoon or evening. Recent satellite imagery showed the storm has already strengthened.
New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell on Saturday warned residents planning to voluntarily evacuate -- which she recommended -- to get out now.
"Time is not on our side. It's just rapidly growing. It's intensifying," the mayor said at a news conference, referring to Ida. "If you're voluntarily evacuating our city, now is the time to leave -- you need to do so immediately. If you're planning to ride it out, again, make sure that you're able to hunker down."
Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards said Ida "will be one of the strongest hurricanes that hit anywhere in Louisiana since at least the 1850s."
"This is a very large storm," Edwards told reporters Saturday, noting that the hurricane could span about 150 miles east and west from the storm's center.