VOICES FOR RACIAL JUSTICE

voicesforracialjustice.org

Vision Statement:We envision a world without racism that honors the wisdom, knowledge, power and healing of Community Based Participatory Action Research and PolicyPolicy and Research Strategy:Our policy and research strategy consists of creating ...

Vision Statement:
We envision a world without racism that honors the wisdom, knowledge, power and healing of Community Based Participatory Action Research and Policy
Policy and Research Strategy:
Our policy and research strategy consists of creating and using legislative advocacy, community based research and analysis as organizing tools. We work in collaboration with community organizers, activists, healers, artists, and multiracial coalitions, to advance racial justice in Minnesota.

Policy and Research Tools:
Three main tools inform our policy and research strategy: (1) The Racial Equity Impact Assessment, (2) The Quilt: Policy, Art, Healing, and (3) Principles for Authentic Community Engagement. A brief explanation of each tool is provided below:

1)The Racial Equity Impact Assessment (REIA) helps legislators and communities make racially equitable policy decisions by asking key questions before adopting and implementing new policies. Applying this assessment to any policy effort, even if it appears race neutral, is a way to ensure that racial disparities are not exacerbated and that racial equity finally becomes a core institutional goal. The Racial Equity Impact Assessment prioritizes community engagement throughout policy design and implementation to understand how proposed policies affect communities of color and indigenous communities. Find the Racial Equity Impact Assessment here. Find the Racial Equity Impact Assessment video here.
2)The Quilt: Policy, Art, Healing is a collaboration between the UpTake and Voices for Racial Justice. The Quilt is a multimedia tool that consists of a print and online magazine, a website, and a podcast.The Quilt is a bridge that connects policy, art, and healing, to a larger conversation about community transformation. Our intent is to engage our communities in deeper policy conversations while also creating and sharing a policy tool that is culturally informed and rooted in our communities. Find The Quilt: Policy, Art, Healing online magazine here. Find The Quilt: Policy, Art, Healing website here.

3) Principles for Authentic Community Engagement is a tool that centers the intentional process of co-creating solutions to racial inequities in partnership with communities of color and indigenous communities. Authentic community engagement is grounded in building relationships based on mutual respect and the acknowledgement of each person's humanity. Find Principles for Authentic Community Engagement here.

Policy and Research Values:
Our policy and research values advance a collective vision of racial justice that aims to support every person, every plant, and every community in our state. These values seek to transform us, the state, and the ways we think about and practice racial equity:
Democracy: We value strategies that create energy around civic engagement for a participatory democracy movement in Minnesota. We support the belief in ordinary people to shape a political system that embraces liberty and equity.