Chapter 30 - Reverie

"School bullying is highly prevalent in Korean middle to high school students. It is a problem that we face today and it is frequently been associated with a broad spectrum of behavioral, emotional, and social problems. Both of the victim and perpetrator."

Hyun Bin expertly introduce the topic of the seminar for today, he walked forward near to his audience to build eye contact and to establish rapport. He controlled the presentation himself. Clicking on a automatic device to navigate through his slides.

"Bullying can affect mental, physical, and emotional health during school years and unfortunately, also adulthood. It can lead to physical injury, social or emotional problems, and in some cases, even death. Bullied children and teens are more likely to experience depression, anxiety, and sometimes long-term damage to self-esteem."

During his talk, he encouraged the students to share their experiences and what they think they should do when they encounter bullying. 

"So what can you do if you are being targeted? You may not react, do not retaliate, don't walk into trouble, and avoid people or situations where bullying may occur. Learn to walk away, and work on your self-confidence. If the bullying persists, you shouldn't keep it to yourself. Instead, you should tell it to the people whom you trust, tell it to your parents, to your teachers, or to the principal."

He tucked his chin as a response to their affirmative reactions and walked back towards the podium. A hint that he was about to end the seminar.

"According to one survey, possibly because of shame or fear of retaliation, more than half of all victims who are bullied don't report it. But remember this, students, bullies thrive on secrecy. Speaking up can end the nightmare."

The audience- students of Daegu High School nodded in agreemen while he ends the seminar with another reminder. He gave everyone his warm gentle smile thinking how different it was to have students as his audience than professionals. He felt more accomplished somehow because they were young minds. 

A student suddenly raised his hand and Hyun Bin called his attention.

"Yes? Any question?" he asked.

"Is it possible for a victim of bullying to fall from his or her perpetrator?" the student asked.

The students chuckled after the question was asked and started teasing two certain students in the lecture hall. In contrast to the bright mood, Hyun Bin felt alienated. For a second, it felt like the world stopped moving and Hyun Bin froze from where he was standing, not batting an eye. 

He managed to flash a smile after taking a deep breath. But his eyes turned too wistful that you could see that he was forcing himself to appear poised.

"That's... a very nice question, young gentleman," he said while trying to compose himself by folding his long-sleeve higher.

"We cannot deny the probabilities of that happening. Like I've said, some students bully other people because they themselves are emotionally drained. They are those people who actually need more special attention. They act as if they are superior—and yet they're insecure. Bullies have an air of superiority that is often a mask to cover up deep hurt and a feeling of inadequacy."

He said, trying to act as professional as he could be through his words.

"If the person being bullied fell in love with his or her perpetrator then I guess the latter isn't that bad at all. Hmmm... would you mind if I tell you a short story?" he asked finally, as he felt his emotions slowly rising up.

For at that moment, it felt like he needed to let it all out. The students nodded enthusiastically and their faces brightened in anticipation.

"Once upon a time, there was a new boy in town who met a mysterious girl. He did not know that she was the leader of the most notorious club in the school he will be attending and even had a small argument with her...